Student drowns in class - Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Man who drowned off JBR beach was learning to dive | The National
DUBAI // A man who drowned off the Dubai coast at the weekend was taking lessons to become a diver, police said.
The 29-year-old Romanian, whose name has not been disclosed, died while learning how to dive close to the Sheraton Hotel at Jumeirah Beach Residence on Saturday, said Maj Ali Al Naqbi, director of the Maritime Rescue Unit at Dubai Police.
“A group of trainees were with the instructor and all came up to surface except the victim,” said Maj Al Naqbi. “We were not immediately called to the scene, and the instructor and his assistant were trying to rescue the man themselves.”
Diving schools have to follow strict safety procedures set out by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (Padi) said Jason Sockett, Padi course director at The Dive Centre in Dubai.
These include divers pairing up with a dive buddy. They must remain within arm’s length of each other at all times.
“If one comes up, the other should too,” said Mr Sockett. “It’s important in case one diver runs out of air the other has two regulators, even from a logistical point sometimes the air tank is very heavy.
“Before they dive, there is a pre-dive safety check, during which they are checking the equipment and air.”
Mr Sockett said it was essential that people follow the Padi slogan: “Plan your Dive, Dive your plan.”
“You plan how long you’re going to dive for, as well as the depth, because the time that can be spent under water depends on the depth. You tell the boat’s captain or someone on land when you’re diving and when you’ll be back.”
Sofia Santos, director of marketing at the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort, said that the incident took place on the public beach, adding the victim was not a guest of the hotel.
“This was such an unfortunate incident,” she said. “The man was not staying at the hotel, and we have lifeguards on duty all throughout the day.”

Always tragic to read about the death of a diver...even more so if it was a student diver. They talk a lot about the standards etc. but nothing about the actual dive like how deep ,how long , how many students with the instructor group? The water temp in Dubai ...should be warm ?
I believe that the risk during student dives is very high and groups should be kept as small and intimate as possible...
Condolences to the family of this diver.

Very tragic accident. I know the area they were diving, it is a beach dive in not very deep water 5-10 meters. It was probably very low visibility due to all of the new construction going on. The news accounts of this accident vary greatly between news outlets here in Dubai. Very little detail, which is the norm. Water temps this time of year are around 21-23 degrees C. Last week at Zainab bottom temp at 30m was 21 C.

I too have dove the area and took my Rescue class there. The viz is some of the worse I have ever been in. To conduct on OW course in these waters is truly a difficult under taking when it comes to student control. In Colorado we conduct OW dives in lakes with similar viz...student get very little room to move around.

Agree. I know the area as well and the only reason to dive there is convenience to the population centre. The viz is terrible and could easily have a new trainee who is a bit nervous (and who isn't first time out) getting into a panic situation.

Anyone wanting to learn in Dubai should take the time (3 hours) to drive up to Musandam. The waters in the many sheltered inlets are calm, quite clear, and have enough marine life to inspire even the most reluctant student to stick with it. Learning in the pea soup at JBR is just a waste of time and will cause many to wonder why they even want to learn.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 01:24 PM ----------

I too have dove the area and took my Rescue class there. The viz is some of the worse I have ever been in. To conduct on OW course in these waters is truly a difficult under taking when it comes to student control. In Colorado we conduct OW dives in lakes with similar viz...student get very little room to move around.

I can see value in a rescue diver course in challenging conditions actually making some sense.
A beginner class? Forget it. Most go under to see what is there. Seeing anything would be rare at JBR especially with construction going on nearby.

Anyone know which dive op was conducting the class?

I wouldn't trust the news too much in this. We got a call from a reporter saying there had been a fatality in Dubai and a casualty with chamber treatment in Al Aqah (our neighbour ), asking for our comments. We obviously said "no comments" as they should ask the dive centres involved directly. Lesson 1 (-ish) as Padi instructor: do not talk about an incident unless you were involved or an eye witness. Lesson 1 (-ish) as journalist: use proper sources

Abdullah: the news in the above post mention which dive centre (albeit not by name)

I wouldn't trust the news too much in this. We got a call from a reporter saying there had been a fatality in Dubai and a casualty with chamber treatment in Al Aqah (our neighbour ), asking for our comments. We obviously said "no comments" as they should ask the dive centres involved directly. Lesson 1 (-ish) as Padi instructor: do not talk about an incident unless you were involved or an eye witness. Lesson 1 (-ish) as journalist: use proper sources

Abdullah: the news in the above post mention which dive centre (albeit not by name)

I will contribute the Only rule you need. DON'T Talk to the Media especially if you were involved in the incident or an eye witness.

In the first instance you could be setting yourself up for the lawyers representing a family who wants retribution in the second instance you could be setting yourself up for the Lawyers representing someone your comments upset.

I have never understood why instructors will take OW student into very challanging environment. Surely some travel to a better dive location will have everyone more ralaxed. Learning to dive in low viz is madness!!!!!!

This is very sad indeed.

Learning to dive in low viz is madness!!!!!!
What's "low viz"? <10m? <5m? <3m?

"Good" summer viz in Nordic waters is some 5-8m. By blue water standards, that's pretty low. Still, a lot of people learn to dive in that kind of viz, with very few accidents, none of those caused by a student panicking or being lost.

This is very sad indeed.
Totally agree.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom