Accident in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennenrkc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My father is diving in Belize. I never got word of where they were staying or who he was diving with. Got a quick email from my mother who is there with him, she said a dive master from NC was hit in the head with the prop yesterday (2/18/15) and airlifted out of there from the boat that Dad was on. I am curious if anyone else has heard anything? Wish I could get a hold of my parents better.

Received a little more detail last night. It was more of a boating accident and not a diving accident. The motor was left running to keep the boat in position and the Diver that was hurt was the first person off the boat went down when he jumped off the boat and somehow got caught underneath the boat into the prop when he came back up. His Dan insurance had supposedly run out in Jan. Injuries were severe, the boat loaded him back up, didn't have a complete o2 rig, and they drove as fast as they could to Belize city. I don't know anything more about the victim. But I hope he is able to get treatment and a ride home.

Last edited:
:( hate to hear stories like this.

A very sad reminder to never let your DAN insurance run out especially when going on a dive trip.

A very sad reminder to never let your DAN insurance run out especially when going on a dive trip.

Agreed, horrible story. I hope the DM/diver is ok. A note on DAN, I have mine on auto-renew attached to a credit card. Seems like a pretty smart thing to do to cover all your bases for any kind of unexpected emergency.

Is there workman's comp in Belize?

I guess I made a mistake. The injured diver was a DM from n.c. That was there with a group, not a d.m. From the dive outfit. I will edit the above. Sorry.

Received a little more detail last night. It was more of a boating accident and not a diving accident. The motor was left running to keep the boat in position and the Diver that was hurt was the first person off the boat went down when he jumped off the boat and somehow got caught underneath the boat into the prop when he came back up. His Dan insurance had supposedly run out in Jan. Injuries were severe, the boat loaded him back up, didn't have a complete o2 rig, and they drove as fast as they could to Belize city. I don't know anything more about the victim. But I hope he is able to get treatment and a ride home.
Horrible accident! Yeah, I'd call it a dive accident. Sometimes we do jump off of live boats, and this is a good reminder to make sure I am well & properly weighted with no air in the BC! I don't want to sink uncontrollably, but with the boat headed into the current live - I don't want to bounce up into the boat, as it seems he did. :shakehead:

I send my daughter an email with my flight plans, hotel plans, dive op, phone numbers, DAN & Trip info every trip. I doubt that she reads them well, but I do ask her to save the email until I am safely home. Damn, his dive insurance lapsed last month!

Agreed, horrible story. I hope the DM/diver is ok. A note on DAN, I have mine on auto-renew attached to a credit card. Seems like a pretty smart thing to do to cover all your bases for any kind of unexpected emergency.
There is a thread in Thumbs Down griping about such but it does seem like a good idea.

I have a calendar entry on my iPhone that reminds me to renew since I don't use the auto-renew feature. But whatever works for you, just don't let your DAN insurance expire. DAN's coverage is the best bang for your buck that I've found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom