Little Cayman - Feb 22, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincent54

Contributor
Reaction score
My friend in Brac told me of a diver on Little Cayman who died on a boat after a dive yesterday. Anyone details??

News - Cayman 27 Found this short article.

Last edited:
Sometimes that's a good thing until all the facts come out. Cheers

Tourist water death is fourth of year :: Cayman Compass
A visitor to Little Cayman died Sunday following a dive, becoming the fourth tourist and the fifth person to die in what local police term “water-related” incidents here in 2015.
According to the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service, 60-year-old Arthur Edward Grindle from Oakland, Florida, collapsed on a dive boat while headed back from a two-tank morning dive in Little Cayman.
“The deceased was returning from a dive trip after two dives,” RCIPS Superintendent Adrian Seales said. He was out of the water at the time he collapsed, Mr. Seales said.
Police are investigating the death.
Mr. Grindle had arrived in Little Cayman on Friday.
On Jan. 26, an elderly tourist died after getting into difficulty while swimming off East End. According to police, just after 3 p.m. that Monday officers received a report of a 71-year-old swimmer in distress while on a snorkel tour off Morritt’s Tortuga resort.
Police said other members of the snorkel tour tried to revive the man with CPR during their return to shore. The man was later pronounced dead at the Cayman Islands Hospital.
Two other fatal water-related incidents in January also involved visitors.
On Jan. 12, an 88-year-old cruise ship tourist died on the water’s edge at Seven Mile Beach just after 10 a.m. The Ukrainian national, who was traveling with his family on the Ruby Princess cruise ship, got into trouble while swimming off shore.
On Jan. 14, another tourist, age 63 from the U.S., died while snorkeling. According to police, that man was also snorkeling off Morritt’s resort. Just before 3:30 p.m., he indicated he had trouble breathing.
The other water-related death involved a Cuban migrant who drowned off South Sound on Jan. 3 after the boat he was on capsized. The other three people aboard the craft made it to the reef and were eventually found by a local surfer who reported their distress.

Certainly sounds like a heart attack. Don't know if we will ever know for sure though.

I knew Arthur Grindle. He was a patient at my office. He was a Master Diver and a wonderful man. I don't have the details of his passing, but will post them when I do. He was not a "visitor" to the Cayman's. He owned a condo there.

I was on the boat when it happened. He had finished his dives and we were on the boat headed back to shore. He was standing talking to a couple of guys and I was sitting nearby. Then (without warning as far as I could tell) he collapsed. I do not have a medical background but my (and other non-professionals') thinking was that it was a stroke. (I only met him a couple of hours before, but he certainly did seem like a wonderful man---very friendly and outgoing.)

I was on the boat when it happened. He had finished his dives and we were on the boat headed back to shore. He was standing talking to a couple of guys and I was sitting nearby. Then (without warning as far as I could tell) he collapsed. I do not have a medical background but my (and other non-professionals') thinking was that it was a stroke. (I only met him a couple of hours before, but he certainly did seem like a wonderful man---very friendly and outgoing.)
DAN really wants eye witness reports of accidents, so if you would please offer what you can to them at this link, it'd help a lot. You can do so anonymously, if you prefer. "All information obtained during the study, including the respondent's identity, will be kept confidential to the full extent allowed by law." See https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/incidentReport/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom