Texan dead in Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Another first day of diving accident it seems. Not to be confused with the Texan who recently died in Belize or the somewhat younger diver who recently died in Little Cayman.

Elderly diver dies in accident :: Cayman Compass
An elderly diver was pronounced dead Thursday after he was rushed to the Cayman Islands Hospital from North West Point in West Bay.
According to medical personnel, the man had been involved in a dive accident at a site off Seven Mile Beach.
Emergency crews were notified of the incident around 2:45 p.m. Thursday.
Police said the diver, a 70-year-old man from Texas, was with other divers in the water when he got into difficulty. He was helped to shore where he received medical attention and was later transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The man was visiting Cayman with his son and had arrived on island Wednesday.
The Royal Cayman Islands Police Joint Marine Unit is investigating the man’s death.

The Heart & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

No idea if it applies based on the info here, but it is still a good reference

Todd
We'd just finished a hike into Santa Elena Canyon on Big Bend NP last Monday (the hard part was climbing up the path on the wall, twice!) when my daughter saw an older lady carrying her kayak towards the Rio Grande and exclaimed: "Look at that lady. She must be 70!" I replied, "Uh yeah, a couple years older than me." :silly: I didn't keep up with the kids on all of the hikes, but I made a good show I think. The miles didn't bother me, but I had not trained for the climbs. :blush:

I'd rather go and die diving or hiking than set around a nursing home waiting longer. I carried bear spray to protect the younger ones from possible lion attacks, a PLB in case of emergency, and plenty of water in my backpack - but I went. I'd hate to ruin a good trip for others, but I still want to go. I hope this gentleman's son who was with him is happy for his dad going.

... "Uh yeah, a couple years older than me." :silly:
I too object to the term "elderly" for a mere pup of only 70!
:)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom