Dive incident in Cozumel March 27, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I heard of an incident today that occurred yesterday witnessed by two other divers on our boat. As I understand it, a senior couple (apparently fit) were diving with Dive Paradise. The husband says they were at 90 feet and when he looked around, his wife was gone. He looked up and saw her making an uncontrolled ascent. When he reached her at the surface, she was unresponsive. A Deep Blue boat (Medusa) picked them up and took her to shore with a number of people performing CPR until the ambulance arrived. I heard two versions about her condition: 1. there were no vital signs and 2. yes, there were vital signs as she vomited.

It really shook the lady who witnessed it and she said she almost didn't dive today as a result. I would like to put her mind at rest if I can tell her the lady is OK. Anyone know?

Last edited:
I'm sure Dandy Don is on the case as we speak.......
I just read the news and pass along. I do think I do a service in doing so, but some like to make morbid humor of it. It's seldom that accidents on Coz make it to google news.

I just read the news and pass along. I do think I do a service in doing so,...

You do. Even if it's case by anecdotal case, with ultimate cause often undetermined, the news posts about deaths give us some idea of general trends in diver deaths. Such as people in their 50's onward. It's not a bad thing to have at least a little peripheral awareness, and hope the dive community will catch any major trends of note.

Richard.

I just read the news and pass along. I do think I do a service in doing so, but some like to make morbid humor of it. It's seldom that accidents on Coz make it to google news.

Oh come on, it can be both. Useful news and humor.

Besides none of the rest of us have actual read the entire internet..... :)

And I hate that moving accident stuff to another area. I don't want to read all that depressing stuff, just if it is Coz related. As the most popular, golden child section of SB we should be allowed an exception......

If this is the same event it appears that she succumbed to a heart attack.

Turista muere infartada
That would be it Ron. Thanks for finding the news story. I feel badly for everyone, but heart attacks can happen at any time and anywhere. Sadly, this one seems to have occurred on her vacation while diving. From the sound of things, there wasn't anything that could have been done differently.

I heard that she and her husband were at about 50 feet, 20 minutes into the dive when they signaled they were going up and they were both ok. They ascended at a normal rate. They happened to surface by a Deep Blue boat who found the lady had become unconscious at the surface. CPR was started. They apparently got her back by the time they got to the hospital and she was at one point thought to be stable before the end came.

Sad, but if you have to go, maybe doing what we love is the way? I watched a code being worked in Feb on a diver being moved the Navy rescue. Sobering.

Sounds like it was a medical thing completely.

If I read the article right, which is challenging with google translation: Google Translate

They were going to try to transport her back to Canada? Seems odd that they'd want to bypass Houston with its overwhelming medical facilities. One of the important aspects of keeping DAN dive insurance - to fly the patient to the best. Some Canadian divers have said they don't need DAN at home, but do abroad.

There are some who argue that dive boats should carry AEDs. I don't expect such on boats any more than I expect them on hiking trails, etc.

Back
Top Bottom