Liveaboard fatality - Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba diver dies off East End :: Cayman Compass
An American tourist died after a scuba diving accident off East End on Tuesday.
The 62-year-old diver from Alabama was a passenger on board the Cayman Aggressor live-aboard dive boat.
Other divers from the Aggressor returned to the boat and raised the alarm that the man had gone missing during a dive Tuesday morning.
His body was discovered nearby, floating face down in the water, by crew from Ocean Frontiers dive shop who joined the search after the Aggressor’s crew raised the alarm on the radio.
Staff from Ocean Frontiers recovered the man’s body just before 11 a.m. The death is the eighth in Cayman’s waters this year.
The man was understood to be traveling alone. Staff from the Aggressor were trying to get in touch with his family in the U.S. Tuesday afternoon and said they were unable to comment on the incident.

Steve Broadbelt of Ocean Frontiers said one of its dive boats was returning from a morning trip when they received a call to assist the search. He said the captain had spotted the diver’s body floating in the water, off shore from the blow holes.
He said it was clear that the man was dead. They alerted the Aggressor and the police and brought the body to the dock at the dive shop in East End.

The cause of death was not immediately obvious, he said.
Police confirmed that a visitor had died in a diving accident off Lover’s Wall and said the death was under investigation.
Seven people have died and a eighth is missing and presumed drowned in local waters since the start of 2015, one of the deadliest years so far over the past decade.

Where was his buddy? How did he go missing?

Update - Water Related Death East End

Update - Water Related Death East End

Published 2nd April 2015, 11:28am

It is with regret following the death of a 62-year-old American national on Tuesday, 31 March 2015 that RCIPS make the following statement and add clarity in the wake of a misinformed blog which appeared in the local media and has proven to be distressing to the family and in its parts, incorrect.

Victor Crawford a resident of North Port, Alabama, USA arrived on Grand Cayman on Saturday, 28 March 2015. He was aboard a local charter vessel Cayman Aggressor 4, in a group of 18 divers on a week’s’ dive.

In the dive area of ‘Tunnel of Love’ East End, Mr. Crawford entered the water around 10:45am but on the group surfacing [divers] he was not seen and a search commenced. A request for assistance was done via VHF marine radio and a dive boat operated by Ocean Frontiers, Nautical Cat responded to the call for assistance. Around 11:53am the deceased was located floating face down in the water and was pulled onboard the vessel Nautical Cat, he was transported to the dock of Ocean Frontier, East End.

An ambulance was called at 12:00pm, responding from George Town, arriving at 12:42 pm. Mr. Crawford was examined by EMTs and found to be clinically dead by examination and verifying that there was no cardiac activity using an ECG monitor. This was reported to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) physician at the George Town Hospital. The ambulance as is normal policy was released for continued emergency deployment.
A funeral home was contacted and the body later transported to the George Town Hospital - this is a correction previously which stated that the body was transported by ambulance. There a physician certified death.

Contrary to what was reported, uniform officers remained throughout awaiting the arrival of the undertaker when the body was handed over. The police were reported to have left the scene, this related to one officer taking two witnesses, including the captain of the dive boat, away in order to provide statements for the investigation. I reiterate two police officers remained with Mr. Crawford throughout the time, until his body was handed over to the undertakers at the scene. Mr. Crawford’s body remained on the boat and was covered out of respect.

Blogger Stephen Broadbelt - following the news release erroneously wrote, certain information that caused great distress to the family of the deceased and due to the sensitivity of this incident, RCIPS will be following up on the erroneous reports. The RCIPS has assigned a family liaison officer to the family of Mr. Crawford who will assist them on Island during these difficult times.

Detectives from the Professional Standards Unit (PSU) interviewed Mr. Broadbelt today and he admitted to officers that he was not present, nor did he personally witnessed what he reported on in his blog. He went on to say, that he was stating what was told to him by others. That approach regretfully, has caused added distress to the family and damage to the Cayman Islands and its emergency services.

Further Enquires continue into the circumstances of Mr. Crawford’s death and a file is being prepared for a coroner’s inquiry.
Condolences is expressed to Mr. Crawford’s family.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 04:27 PM ----------

This article starts out calling it a "downing death" but later says that the "diving death is still being investigated"

Alabama man's diving death causes Cayman Islands controversy | AL.com

Alabama man's diving death causes Cayman Islands controversy

By Melissa Brown | [EMAIL="mbrown@al.com"]mbrown@al.com[/EMAIL] The Birmingham News
April 04, 2015 at 10:37 AM, updated April 04, 2015 at 10:43 AM

The drowning death of a 62-year-old Northport, Ala., man in the Cayman Islands last month has sparked controversy after a local dive boat operator claimed the man's body was mistreated by island authorities.

According to Cayman News Service reports, Victor Crawford went missing on a March 31 dive.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service told CNS Crawford entered the water around 10:40 a.m. with a group of 18 divers, but his fellow divers could not locate him upon surfacing.

Police told CNS his body was found in the water and a dive boat, operated by the Ocean Frontiers company, responded to a call for assistance.
The boat transported the deceased to a nearby dock, where paramedics took nearly an hour to get to him.

Authorities originally told media Crawford was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was officially pronounced dead.

But a representative for Ocean Frontiers, the company whose boat assisted in recovering Crawford's body, wrote a lengthy comment on CNS's article stating he was "shocked" with the emergency services' response.

"The ambulance took over 1 hour to arrive on the scene and even after 911 was called, they called back to ask if we were sure and did we really need an ambulance," Stephen Broadbelt wrote. "To make matters worse, after the paramedics had assessed the body, they confirmed he was dead, got back in the ambulance and left, without the body."

After Broadbelt's comments, the RCIPS changed its original statement.

"...An RCIPS spokesperson said that an ambulance was called at 12:00pm, responding from George Town, and it arrive at 12:42 pm," CMS reports. "Crawford was examined by EMTs and found to be clinically dead. Verifying that there was no cardiac activity using an ECG monitor, they reported the death to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) physician at the George Town Hospital."

RCIPS confirmed Broadbelt's claim the ambulance left the scene without the body, but a spokesperson said the ambulance was dispatched for normal emergency service while uniformed police stayed with the body until an undertaker arrived.

Despite RCIPS changing their original story, a spokesperson said authorities weren't "negligent" and allegations of mistreatment are "causing distress" to Crawford's family.

"I think it has done damage to the Cayman Islands by suggesting there is insensitivity about the way we deal with these issues, in particularly tourism," Commissioner of Police David Baines told news service Cayman 27. "I've appointed a family liaison officer to deal directly to the family and when they arrive I will happily allow them to listen to the tape logs, see the evidence of the officers accounts because, as well as dealing with the loss of a loved one, they've suffered a loss of trust in the authorities and I need to recover that and show them the facts and the evidence of what actually took place rather than what's been put in a blog."

Crawford's diving death is still being investigated.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

According to the article below he was traveling alone, but they usually pair you up with someone.

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2015/04/01/Scuba-diver-dies-off-East-End/

According to the article below he was traveling alone, but they usually pair you up with someone.

You make it sound like individuals are assigned a buddy in some formal way... along with their cabin number and spot on the dive deck. I've been on plenty of liveaboards. Strictly speaking... that's not typically what happens.

Usually it's a bit more "Yeah... Bob... you can tag along with Joe and Mary or follow the DM if you like." And that will likely change to "tag along with Ray and Dave" on one dive and then "Nancy and Roy" etc.

If something goes wrong, not hard to imagine that the DM thinks Bob is with Joe and Mary. Joe and Mary thinks Bob is with the DM. Ray and Dave don't know where he is. Maybe he was with Nancy and Roy?

Last edited:
About buddies in warm water

Those of us that dive frequently and in low vis should be a pretty discipled lot, but I have to admit that disciple can get pretty badly eroded when vis on every dive is suddenly 10x better than our "fantastic" [15m]. The excitement and enthusiasm for all the neat stuff everywhere and all so VISIBLE is a big factor too.
Must remember to have some chats about this before our next trip so we can all make a point of maintaining good behavior.

Like Dad said when I was learning to drive, it would be a terrible thing to spend the whole rest of my life regretting the carelessness of a few moments.

interesting! Good example,some blogger not having appropiate facts, running at the mouth!! So someone else has to do damage control!!
I would like To see statics on the Cayman fatalities (ie... Experience, medical issues, equipment issues).

Cayman has a great safety record based on the number of divers per year, what is happening?

interesting! Good example,some blogger not having appropiate facts, running at the mouth!! So someone else has to do damage control!!

Couple of facts:

Steve Broadbelt is the co-owner/developer of Compass Point Dive Resort and Ocean Frontiers, not some random "blogger not having appropriate facts, running at the mouth!!" as you state. It was Steve's dive operation and his staff that recovered the lost diver's body and oversaw it until the ambulance arrived, and after it left - leaving the body at the dock. I'd venture to say that I trust his first hand account of what actually happened vs. some PR person's account (or that of anyone else relying on second or third hand information).

Steve has been a long-standing and highly respected member of the dive community on Grand Cayman, and although his account must have brought great embarrassment for the authorities, I don't doubt a single word of his account.

Couple of facts:

Steve Broadbelt is the co-owner/developer of Compass Point Dive Resort and Ocean Frontiers, not some random "blogger not having appropriate facts, running at the mouth!!" as you state. It was Steve's dive operation and his staff that recovered the lost diver's body and oversaw it until the ambulance arrived, and after it left - leaving the body at the dock. I'd venture to say that I trust his first hand account of what actually happened vs. some PR person's account (or that of anyone else relying on second or third hand information).

Steve has been a long-standing and highly respected member of the dive community on Grand Cayman, and although his account must have brought great embarrassment for the authorities, I don't doubt a single word of his account.

More than a little irony about people running to the internet without all the facts.
We'll probably find out in time what really happened but government statements should always be viewed with skepticism. This is doubly true of tourist destinations fearing for their economies.

IMHO it was an opinion of facts, as he admitted! Speculation and an opinion! An yes he was just a blogger IMO!!! Do not know the guy but he released facts on a blog, and admitted they were not correct when questioned!! My point only!!!
MY interest of concern is what actually happened factually and how to, if possible in the future prevent it from happening again! Maybe it was unavoidable!

I spent 10 nights on the Aggressor last year. I am so sad to hear that someone died, I can only imagine how devastating to the crew and the other passengers this must be. It is also disturbing to think about the way this was handled after the guy was found.

Has there been any more information released as to the cause of death? I can only speculate that it may have been a health issue. There is a sign on the dive deck that clearly states no solo diving and a buddy is required. This pic is from the dive deck on the Cayman Aggressor last year.

PICT0019.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom