Chicopee Comprehensive High School graduate Josh Devine reportedly missing Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A 36-year-old man who graduated from Chicopee Comprehensive High School in 1997 is reportedly missing off the coast of Thailand.
According to the tourism news website Phuketwan.com, Joshua Michael Devine was aboard a ship on a diving trip with his wife Tassana ''Goi'' Devine and two male friends this weekend when he apparently vanished.
The news website reports that the ship left Phuket around midnight and prior to his disappearance, the Holyoke native was with his two friends in an equipment storage room sharing some drinks.
"At one stage my husband appeared agitated and asked to be alone so the two friends left him in the storeroom by himself for about 10 minutes," Tassana Devine is quoted as telling the reporter. "By the time they went to the storeroom again, Joshua had disappeared."
This 2004 Republican file photo shows Josh Devine of Holyoke.
The captain was reportedly alerted and a search of the vessel turned up no clues. The website reports that a storm in the Andaman Sea halted the search, but it was to resume on Sunday morning.
According to The Republican's archives, Josh Devine spent the first four years after high school serving active duty in the Army, mostly in Germany and Kosovo, before transferring to the National Guard in 2001. That year, he won Connecticut's Soldier of the Year Award and took top honors at the First Army North's northeastern regional-level competition in Portsmouth, N.H.
He was described by the Thai news site as an "American IT operative who works with the US military in Kuwait."

Posted Dive Tribe - Thailand.

We want to put an alert out to all boat captains in the Phuket Area.
A good friend and accomplished diver went missing on the Phuket side Andaman sea and was on liveaboard vessel Chontara I.
If there are any boats in the area please be extra watchful and keep a look out for Josh. We want his safe return !

At this stage it appears this is NOT a diving incident, rather someone lost at sea?

Sounds like heavy drinking and a bad mood did him end, whether he fell overboard or what? Seems like the odds of finding him alive were severely against him, but they tried - overdrawing their limited budget. Excerpting from Phuket's Sea Searchers Have Already Spent Next Month's Budget in the Hunt for Diver Joshua Devine
Phuket Marine Police Commander, Colonel Phanya Chaichana, says that there is actually no specific Marine Police budget for undertaking searches for tourists or rescue work.

''We have a fuel allocation only for cracking down on crime,'' he told Phuketwan today. ''And that's 2000 litres of fuel a month.

''If an incident takes place off Racha island [a popular day-trip destination close to Phuket] that's 10 miles away and we might use 700 litres of fuel getting there and back.''

Too many miles to cover looking for a man's head in the waves, if he survived the fall and the night. His wife was not impressed tho...
Mr Devine's wife Thadsana said: ''This is not a search. This is sight-seeing.''

Sounds like heavy drinking and a bad mood did him end, whether he fell overboard or what? Seems like the odds of finding him alive were severely against him, but they tried - overdrawing their limited budget. Excerpting from Phuket's Sea Searchers Have Already Spent Next Month's Budget in the Hunt for Diver Joshua Devine

Too many miles to cover looking for a man's head in the waves, if he survived the fall and the night. His wife was not impressed tho...

If my wife fell overboard, I would provide funds for them to continue the search. Its sad that they have so little fuel budget but that's the reality of Thailand. Although my worry would be the corruption and actual use of the funds (having had first hand experience with this while there), I would be concerned that the funds were going into someone's pocket and not for the search, but again, that's life in Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom