Point Loma fatality - San Diego California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver, 70, suffers distress off Point Loma, dies | UTSanDiego.com
A 70-year-old scuba diver suffered some sort of medical problem while diving off Point Loma Saturday and died soon after being brought to shore, a fire official said.
The man, whose name was not released, had been on board a commercial dive boat in the ocean about six miles south of the Point Loma channel and a mile west, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson said.
He said the man had made a one-hour dive, was on the boat for about an hour, then started a second dive. He was brought up about 20 minutes later in distress.
Others on the boat began CPR on the man and radioed San Diego lifeguards for help at 5:50 p.m. Lifeguards took out a boat to meet the dive vessel, brought the man on board and continued CPR on their way to their headquarters in Mission Bay, Swanson said.
Paramedics met them at the dock but pronounced the man dead about 6:30 p.m., Swanson said.
The U.S. Coast Guard will conduct an investigation because the incident involved a commercial boat.

I did two nice dives today with a former student of mine...he took his OW course at 68.

My prayers tonight are with the family of the San Diego diver. Does anyone know if environmental conditions might have stressed the diver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom