Diver Death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatree

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looks like a diver death in Cozumel yesterday. Anybody heard anything other than the Por Esto article? Too bad Dandy Don is traveling back home today or we would have more info.

Por Esto! | Yucatán

Best I can tell from google translator it was a 25 year old inexperienced diver. Honeymoon couple was diving with a guide on a shore dive. Guide lost track of her. Looked up and saw her floating on the surface. She was pretty much gone when he got to her. She was rushed to chamber but died soon afterwards. Not clear how long they were separated.

Google translate:

COZUMEL, 3 June.- an American tourist died when having descompresionado when he was an oversight disappeared dive guide, unfortunately for the hiker did not survive after the intense fighting that experienced paramedics carried the hyperbaric chamber , to love her stabilize, since he was missing several minutes until they found the body floating.
The unfortunate incident occurred at about 14:30 hours, when the department received 066 distress call, immediately dispatching the ambulance hyperbaric chamber, who arrived in the vicinity of the "Grapes Beach", located in the south of the island.
At first get the municipal authorities found three people, including Hector Aguilar, who was the guide of the couple and even refused to provide his name was mentioned by the companion and girlfriend of Christal González 25 years old, originally Weis Mountain Illinois, USA.
And they were on the island who had chosen to spend your honeymoon, besides pointing to Hector, as the manager to take them to the reef site, before being hired as suggested they had beautiful places on reefs and it elected him as their guide, since fiscal dock San Miguel.
But unfortunately the lack of experience of the two young, yet they decided to make a beach dive, reaching the aforementioned beach and then the indications were made to the depth, where they watched the wonder of the reef and its marine species, but in a negligence guide the girl disappeared.
Hector coming to the surface, and try to place it over did not succeed, returning the guide at the bottom of the sea and after locating the shadow of the unfortunate to be floating, she realized she no longer had vital signs, requiring support medical assistance arrived on the scene.
And although they tried experienced paramedics resuscitate the girl with the application of techniques CPR Advanced, and nothing could be done to restore her to life, because after he was transferred unconscious to the clinic, it was declared minutes after She had died, even before the edition closing the legal status of the guide was unknown, as the husband of the young man blamed for his death.

"originaria de Weis Mountain Illinois, Estados Unidos" may be a reference to Mt. Vernon, Illinois, USA - a suburb that is south and west of Chicago, but I am not sure.

Very sad news

Looks like a diver death in Cozumel yesterday. Anybody heard anything other than the Por Esto article? Too bad Dandy Don is traveling back home today or we would have more info.

Por Esto! | Yucatán
I usually just read the news stories Google sends me based on some alerts I set. I got an email on your post.

"originaria de Weis Mountain Illinois, Estados Unidos" may be a reference to Mt. Vernon, Illinois, USA - a suburb that is south and west of Chicago, but I am not sure.

Very sad news
It may be. Google doesn't know of a place by that name.

I am surprised to see this accident with a private DM caring for two divers, however green they may have been. A friend of mine recommends this DM highly, too: "I know Hector Aguilar and my wife and I have dived with him many times. We usually booked private dives with him to avoid the unknown skill levels of other divers. He always seemed diligent and safety conscious to us. He does cater to a lot of Cruise ship diver though."

The Google translation pjhansman gave seems about as good as any. The Por Esto link seems to be empty, but that version is posted on this FB page - except it mentions snorkeling: https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Policiaco-De-Cozumel/149519215213242

Other versions can be found at Fatal luna de miel en Cozumel, se ahoga la novia | UN1

And at Se ahoga turista en Cozumel; acusan a gu

Very sad news. I wonder what happened? Being inexperienced, could she have panicked when she could not find the others and shot to the surface? "Found floating on the surface" might suggest that she had shed her weights or similar.

Reactions: Jax
"originaria de Weis Mountain Illinois, Estados Unidos" may be a reference to Mt. Vernon, Illinois, USA - a suburb that is south and west of Chicago, but I am not sure...

...It may be. Google doesn't know of a place by that name...

As far as I know there are no mountains in Illinois (cornfields but no mountains) There is another Chicago suburb called Westmont so that might be a possible translation for Weiss Mountain. It makes me even sadder to think that they were a young local couple on their honeymoon.

It is hard to tell who died. Where they on a resort course dive (not certified)?

Where is Grapes beach?

Back
Top Bottom