Scuba diver dies off Thacher Island-Rockport Mass.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"She said the diver had come up and was talking to his partner, but that he lost his mouthpiece and breathing regulator."

Anyone have more detail? Great reporting, as usual

Man dies while scuba diving off Rockport | Local News - WCVB Home

[h=1]Man dies while scuba diving off Rockport[/h] [h=2]Victim was diving near Thacher Island[/h] UPDATED 8:58 AM EDT Jun 29, 2015

Thacher-Island-Rockport-jpg.jpg

ROCKPORT, Mass. —Rockport's harbormaster says a scuba diver died off the town's coast over the weekend.

Rosemary Lesch tells The Gloucester Daily Times that the victim was one of two people diving from a small boat about a mile off Thacher Island at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

The victim's name has not been made public, but Lesch says the man was from the North Shore.

She says the diver had come up and was talking to his partner, but that he lost his mouthpiece and breathing regulator.

The other diver was not injured.

Yes, sadly the diver's name was Fred Mozdziez. It's now public on social media. He was a regular at the same dive shop I go to. I never dove with him, but I heard that he had over 100 dives in the past two years and he was experienced diving New England waters. It sounds like it was just a tragic accident.

Any idea what this was supposed to mean - "he lost his mouthpiece and breathing regulator."? I know the media always gets these things mixed up.

She says the diver had come up and was talking to his partner, but that he lost his mouthpiece and breathing regulator.

The other diver was not injured.
That is an odd statement. If the deceased diver (RIP) had "come up and was talking to his buddy", it suggests that they had finished the dive and had fully inflated BCDs. In that case and if he was talking, he would have removed the reg mouthpiece anyway. So, did he have a medical issue?

Also this allusion to injury - or lack of it - to the other diver is puzzling. Were they hit by a boat or something?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom