Driftng divers rescued - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Divers rescued off coast of Pensacola | AL.com
Three divers found 13 miles off the coast of Pensacola were rescued by the United States Coast Guard Sunday morning just minutes after midnight, according to Fox 10 News.
Officials say the divers told them they got disoriented and couldn't see their anchored boat anymore.
The Coast Guard was informed on Saturday at 9 p.m. that the drivers were late returning from their diving and fishing trip.
The Coast Guard says the divers were not injured and were treated by medical station personnel at Station Pensacola.
Coast Guard crews from Mobile and Pensacola coordinated the search for the divers.

Diving from an unattended boat? Great idea!

wow...lucky divers....glad no injuries except pride.

Wasn't one of the things we learned in OW, was that you always leave someone on the boat in case something goes wrong.But this happens all the time.

Do as I say...not as I...

Glad they were recovered.

Got blown off a wreck in the Straits of Mackinaw a few years ago. 7 knot current on the bottom at 110 feet. Came up with a line and smb only to see the dive boat 3 miles away station keeping over the wreck. Lucky a tourist jet boat going to the island saw us and radioed the dive boat. Coast Guard was called but did not deploy. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diving from an unattended boat? Great idea!

I did this once, about 30 years ago. I navigated directly back to the anchor, and just as I got to within about 10 feet of it, the shackle connecting the line to the chain fell apart, and the line started moving... fast! (There was a strong breeze, blowing out from the shore...). I was never in an danger since I was only 50 yards from shore, but it would have been a titch embarrassing jogging back to town! I was much younger and in a wetsuit then so I could move fast and caught it, but it was tough!

The only time I do it now is in one secluded little bay, with two anchors out and I'm rarely out of sight of one of the two lines...

Wasn't one of the things we learned in OW, was that you always leave someone on the boat in case something goes wrong.But this happens all the time.

What if the thing that goes wrong is the someone you left on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom