Shark's Cove - Oahu, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have details on this? Shark's Cove is a shallow, fairly calm (this time of year) site, but there is a *lot* of overhead environment (networks of lava tubes, caverns, and caves) into which one can venture.

A scuba diver is in critical condition after he nearly drowned at Shark's Cove in Haleiwa Sunday morning. Authorities responded to Shark's Cove at 10 a.m. Sunday. The patient, a local resident in his 20-30's, was apparently scuba diving when he ran into trouble. Bystanders pulled him out of the water and performed CPR.
Ocean Safety officials were first on scene and took over CPR. Care was then transferred to Emergency Medical Services and the victim was transported to an area hospital in critical condition.
HFD and HPD also responded.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/29427373/scuba-diver-in-critical-condition-after-near-drowning-at-sharks-cove

I was coming out of the water around 10am when I heard people shouting to call 911, which people on the shore did immediately. It was a nice calm day, no surf, and I didn't notice any surge or current during my dive. Looking back towards the "elevator shaft" I could see a bunch of divers standing on the flat rocky area and one person administering CPR to the victim. There is a fire station about an eighth of a mile from the accident site and multiple emergency vehicles were on site within minutes.
Shortly thereafter I ran into a friend who had been in the middle of the commotion. During his surface swim he heard screaming and came across the scene where the victim was already being pulled from the water. The other divers who found him took turns giving chest compressions.
That's all I can say with reasonable certainty. My friend said the diver did have a buddy, and that they had already started the dive when something happened. My friend was also under the impression the diver hit his head but I can't say where that bit of information came from.
As of today the news story hasn't been updated but three of my diver friends including the one who was on scene tell me the victim has passed away.

Thanks for the info. The passages to and from Elevator Shaft definitely present the possibly of head injury, especially given the surge inside the tubes even on a calm day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom