Canadian woman dead - Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies off East End :: Cayman Compass
A female tourist died in a diving accident Tuesday morning.
The 54-year-old visitor from Canada got into difficulties during a dive with Tortuga Divers.
According to police, she surfaced during the dive and indicated she was having difficulties. When she was brought back on board, she was unconscious.
People on the boat gave CPR until a medic unit arrived. She was taken to Cayman Islands Hospital where she was pronounced dead at 10:48 a.m. The RCIPS Marine Unit is investigating.

Very short notice on Cayman TV last week. A Canadian woman died will diving off Grand Cayman Island. Looking to find the identity of the diver and where in Canada she was from. The Ontario Underwater Council's Fatality Report is opened everytime an Ontario diver dies.
Did ask a contact in Cayman tourism but have not had a response. Here is the brief notice I spotted.

<<And on Tuesday (10 November), the RCIPS have confirmed the death of a diver in East End.The 54-year-old woman was visiting from Canada and was diving with Tortuga Divers. After surfacing from the water she was brought back on board unconscious and pronounced dead>

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads on same incident merged

I have since contacted the police in Cayman. They were very helpful. The deceased was Margaret Frederiks from Hamilton, Ontario Canada. I read her obituary. She was a wonderful lady and will be missed by all who loved and knew her. The Ontario Underwater Council will, in all likelihood, prepare a fatality report.

Thanks. Being a displaced Canadian/Ontario native kinda makes this one seem a little closer somehow. Probably silly but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom