spearfishing accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not correct. It has been estimated that 30% of dive fatalities over the age of 40 are caused by heart attack. Typically, spear fishers on scuba can hide from a shark if required.

Given that outside the USA spearfishing isnt very popular i disbelieve that stat.

I can safely say 0% of the UKs fatalities last year or this years to date have been spear fishing related:)

So if I dive and have a heart attack, why is it considered a "diving accident"? Just because it occured while diving.
If I have a heart attack while driving, it's not called an auto accident. Sounds like it might sqew the diving fatality stats a bit.

newyorkauter:
I heard from somewhere that 90% of scuba accidents happen while people are spearfishing.

That percentage sounds more in the line of diver accidents due to shark attacks. 90% seems a bit on the high side though.

There more bad info in this thread then any where on the net:

90% of accidents while spearfishing- this is about nuts!! as pointed out the UK as had a bad spring with quite few deaths and none involve spearfishing. In 14 years of diving in Okinawa we have had a few accidents and can only think of two that involved spearfishing. Going through DAN's accident report the percentage averages around 10-11% depending on the year you look at. DAN puts spearfishing and lobstering or any type of game collecting together.

90% of accidents due to shark attacks on Scuba Diver's!!!!Come on that percent is less than 1.

newyorkauter:
I heard from somewhere that 90% of scuba accidents happen while people are spearfishing.
Hey, if this is true then I can cut my risk of having a dive accident by 90% by just not spearfishing. COOL!:jump013:

Oops, that's not what I meant. Take two.

90% of shark attacks on scuba divers occur during spearfishing activities.

How's that sound?

archman:
Oops, that's not what I meant. Take two.

90% of shark attacks on scuba divers occur during spearfishing activities.

How's that sound?
Sounds like you phrased it right now is this nearer the right numbers ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom