Diver drowned :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davetul

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Article <here>

Details are still sketchy, but it seems he was diving alone at night, and I don't think anyone knew he was there. Some think spearfishing? Navy and civilian authorities are still performing an investigation.

Although we were on the same ship, I didn't know him personally, but he is said to have been an experienced diver, and very competent.

Don't want to start a debate on solo diving, but sure would have been nice if he had a buddy on this particular evening.

Very sad

The area is a pretty popular shore-dive spot.

It's a cut through the fringing reef that alows one to easily get to the "outside" of the reef. (Our surf is never more than 2 feet, but it all breaks in 6-12 inches of water on sharp reef, so going through the surf is usually painful.) Once out, it's a sloping reef wall with LOTS of marine-life.

The area is usually pretty harmless, but occasionally sees strong currents and some surge. The only real caveat is that you need to consider the tide and how it will affect the current in the cut during entry/exit.

Oddly, that's the second scuba-death at that site in about a month... though we had more details in the other one, as there was a buddy who survived.

I did a solo night dive once. That was the only time I got scared while being underwater. Just something unnatural about being there alone with just a little light between me and the darkness. Maybe I just have a slight fear of the dark. Anyway, I promised myself I would never do another solo night dive and I never did.

Before the article goes away, I thought I would paste it in.

"Navy officials identify body of drowned sailor

By Theresa Merto, Pacific Daily News

Navy officials released the identity yesterday of a petty officer who drowned in the waters of Asan last week, marking the 20th drowning of the year.

The family of Petty Officer 1st Class Paul G. Richardson has been notified of his death, according to Senior Chief Jonathan Annis, deputy public affairs officer for the Navy. Richardson was assigned to the USS Frank Cable, Annis said.

On Friday afternoon, two fishermen reported that they found a body in the Asan Channel. Navy officials have said Richardson was found in full diving gear with two scuba tanks, and said that the diver may have run out of air while under water.

Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola, who performed an autopsy on Richardson yesterday, said that he has classified Richardson's death as a drowning.

His death marks the island's 20th drowning of the year. Last year, six people drowned in the island's waters, and 2002 also saw six drowning deaths, files state.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004"

They came about the cause of death pretty quickly. I wonder what cause an experienced diver to drown?

I did some snorkling in Guam back in '96/'97, wanted to dive! The Admiral in charge of the area secured diving during the time I was there during a bombing exercise becuase of all the Rec Diver accidents. One was when a diver was washed into the Surf zone and the regulator was knocked out of his mouth from the pounding surf.
IT is always sad to hear when a fellow Diver and Sailor dies while doing what he enjoys. I dive with several sailors off the USS Kennedy. My condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom