Near Death Experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvsItWet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here's is my true story it occurred in June, 2002 at Hedonism II. My lesson learned, trust your gut, and THOROUGHLY check out your equipment (especially if it's rented) AND, don't forget to drop your weights in an emergency:

Tuesday..The rain stopped and had some early sunshine but VERY windy! I wanted to dive but questioned the safety of it, as I could see big white caps from the beach. I questioned the divemaster about potential problems getting back onto the boat after the dive, and got the customary "No Problem Mon"! So I went..Rose kissed me goodbye and we took off.

It was pretty cool and we got to play with a small sting ray and a medium size sea turtle! (They're quite graceful underwater)

MY NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE: (NOT MADE UP OR EXAGGERATED)

After 30 min into the dive, I noticed I only had 550 lbs. of air left. I signaled to my buddy and the divemaster I was low on air and needed to start an ascent. My "buddy" still had plenty of air left and didn't want to stop, so the divemaster motioned for me to ascend alone from 70'. (THIS IS AGAINST EVERYTHING THAT PADI AND YMCA TEACHES) I started my ascent alone..stayed at 15' for 4 min as by now I was well into the RED ZONE, then continued to the surface. I was met with heavy seas, high winds, and dark skies. (It reminded me of a washing machine) I inflated my BC (buoyancy compensator) and saw the dive boat in the far distance from atop a 6' swell. I thought to myself: "I only have to hold on for a couple of minutes in this mess and he'll be here". After 5 min., I timed the interval between swells, and blew my whistle hard twice.....nothing, the winds were so high and I was being blown out to sea..he couldn't hear me. I told myself to remain calm.. panic kills..remember my training..(I was also in the Navy for 8 years). 5 min turned into 15, and I discovered my BC was leaking air through the manual inflator mouthpiece! (Why I got low on air so quickly)The sea state, at that time prevented manual inflation without swallowing massive amounts of sea water. I was getting chilled and starting to shiver. I decided to conserve what little air I had left in my tank for my BC, and go to snorkel.

Then I heard engines starting (as I was downwind), and thought: "Oh, thank-you Lord", but, as I came up upon another swell, I saw the dive boat disappearing...until it was out of sight.....I inflated my BC again, and raised my eyes to the sky, and began to make my peace with God...and prayed...The shoreline was rapidly disappearing, and so was I!

In the meantime, the rest of the group had surfaced, and the dive boat couldn't find them either! So the divemaster has a "horn" of some sorts, that attaches to his BC that he set off to get the boat's attention. That's when I saw the boat disappear. (this part is third party) When he got to them, the divemaster asked: "Where's Mark?"! "Isn't he with you?" the boat captain replied. The divemaster told everyone to stay in the water, and told the boat captain: "he surfaced 10 min ahead of us! Go get him!"

Back to me: If any of you have seen "Perfect Storm"...I was now relating to "Bobby" the guy in that last scene. I was hoping Rose and the kids would be ok, and resigning myself to my fate.

My adrenalin was used up..my body was exhausted and was starting to shut down! All I could think was: "God I don't want to die like this!!!!!"

Then I heard engines again! On top of another swell, I saw a boat in the far distance (2 miles at least) heading my way! I prayed: "Please God, give me the strength to last, just a bit longer!" My heart started racing, my BC was only half full, and I was struggling to keep my head on the surface..and I felt myself start to go into hyper-ventilation! I knew if that happened, I'd become unconscious and drown before he got to me! The next thing I knew was the boat was about 30 feet abeam...The Pilot yelled if I could swim to the ladder. I waved my hand "no" (I had NOTHING left!) I went under and raised my hand...and somehow, he grabbed my wrist, ripped my mask off, removed my BC and tank, and pulled me aboard!

When I got finished coughing out the salt water..I gave thanks..I certainly was given a second chance! My Guardian Angel was there!

My experience SEVERELY traumatized me!! I was left in the ocean with heavy seas and high winds for 30-40 min. I'm a very strong swimmer and was an Advanced PADI Diver then, (Rescue now) but nothing prepared me for this! I spoke to the resort manager later. I told her that if she doesn't insist on standard PADI safety rules, I would write to PADI myself about what happened! She assured me policy would change, as she's a diver herself and unaware this was happening. (She was horrified)

Wednesday..Spent a lot of quiet time....relaxing in the hot tub...a few strong drinks too! Went to the Japanese Restaurant with a group of close friends. Food and atmosphere was great! (Just don't speak Japanese to the cooks or waiters..Ya Mon! :wink:)

Went to Veronica's after dinner, but Dave decided to take an unscheduled holiday!!!
After soooo many choruses of "99 Bottles of Beer", my buddy Mike got up and sat in for Dave..My jaw dropped wide open!!!! He could be a concert pianist! And he did it ALL by ear too!!! He turned a disaster into a VERY pleasant evening! (I took lotsa pics too!) I told Hedo he should get a free night!

Friday..Last full day!! Bummer!!! Early morning, Rose sees me staring at the ocean all the time..knowing the lust and fear that I now have for it...hugs me, and says: "You know, if you don't go back out today, you never will again." (She knows me so well) I KNEW she was right, so did my friends. The sea was calm that day, so I made myself go. My diving friends whom we've known for some time went with me which I'll never forget, thank-you both! And I buddied up with the divemaster himself. I had a GREAT dive this day!!!!!! And yes, I'll be going again, but ONLY safely!!!!!!!!!

Saturday..Leaving at 2:00pm...Sooooo Sad! All the good-byes...:)-( Several of our friends gave our bus a GOOD send-off at the gate!!!!!!!!

Interesting story... thanks for posting it!

It usually isn't just one thing that goes wrong... they come in herds. What are the things that you've personally learned from this? Numbering them will help others in responding directly to them.

Hey Buddy… glad it turned out well for you and you got back in the saddle.

You mentioned dropping weights as a lesson to be learned… absolutely. I would add one more piece of gear to your kit whenever you ocean dive… and that is a large surface inflation marker… I carry a large one in my BP any time I ocean dive both for the visibility it gives and as a second source of buoyancy if needed on the surface or indeed underwater.

I’m sure your story will be read by many. Thanks for sharing it.

Glad you're OK!!

Just curious. You mentioned being in the "red" after only 30 mins. at a max depth of 70'. Was this one of many multiple dives over the past days? Was sending divers up solo something you witnessed on prior dives?
Again, thanks for the story and glad you'll OK.

what accessory safety equipment would have helped you in this situation that you have or should have now purchaced??

cancun mark:
what accessory safety equipment would have helped you in this situation that you have or should have now purchaced??

Hmmm, I know, I know...........that Yellow/Orange thing you blow up????

Good story, glad you made it back.

Horrible story,
but always use a safety marker. Try finding anyone on the oceans surface without one. Inflate it at the end of your safety stop and hold on to it before you rise.

I agree the sausage is the way to go it fits nicley into the BC and can save your bacon. Also remember to take your left hand and put the mouth piece in then take your right hand and cover the mouth piece and nose between breaths that should help in keeping the water out. You talked about the Padi rules but you yourself forgot two the weights and your own safety device for others to find you. That is something the shop should have said or arranged with the group. We had the same thing happen here off the Malahate and I agree it is the shops fault to allow divers in the water that may not be found because they lack safety equipment to find them in the event that everbody gets separated.
At least you where not left at sea and glad to hear it did not stop you from diving.
BTW get a sausage that has the reflextive tape that way it works at night.
cheers

Uncle Pug:
Interesting story... thanks for posting it!

It usually isn't just one thing that goes wrong... they come in herds. What are the things that you've personally learned from this? Numbering them will help others in responding directly to them.

Number 1: If you've safely made it to the surface, in conditions I described, DON'T hesitate for one instant to dump your weights.

Number 2: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, TRUST YOUR GUT!!!! Can't emphasize that enough! If you don't think it's safe for YOU to dive, DON'T! DO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE talk you into something dangerous.

Number 3: I ALWAYS dive with the sonoalert I purchased when I got back (about $40.00 :wink: US). It will let out an ear splitting shrill high pitched sound that anyone can hear. (That's what the divemaster had for his group) It fits between your regulator hose going to your BC.

Number 4: I always dive with my 8' "orange flourescent sausage" (another new purchase) when in open water. I also stuff an old CD in my BC pocket for signaling. (The hole in the center can help for aiming)

Number 5: If you're buddied (SP?) up with a stranger, tell him what you expect, and be on the same page, or find another buddy, or DON'T do the dive.

Number 6: While expensive, (let's face it, this is NOT a "poor mans sport) get your OWN gear! I don't know how many times in the past, I've had to search for where a dump valve was located, and have your gear checked out regularly by a certified dive shop. (After all, this is YOUR LIFE we're talking about!)

When I spoke about being severely in the "red" it was my guages I was referring to.
I had less than 100 lbs. left when I went to snorkle (because of my leaking bc).

If anyone wants more info, feel free to email me at MHEMMEL655@AOL.COM or post here. I should add this was a resort dive run by their operators, and this happened WAY before "Open Water the movie" came out. And yes, this resort, Hedonism II, had a habit, prior to my experience, of sending divers low on air, up by themselves. From what I hear from my friends, this is no longer their practice.

"Have fun diving, just be safe...be careful down there!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom