Diving Emergency Evacuation Plan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this but I guess this is the closest one I can link the topic to.

I am currently doing my divemaster. As a requirement for the course, I need to come up with a diving emergency evacuation plan. I am doing some research on the net for examples which I would use. Anyone out there with a plan which I can use as a guide line? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

I have my DM students create a flow chart that can help make quick decison based on what situation (i.e. leading certified divers or assisting with class). The main thing your instructor should be looking for is completness and easy to find information.

First, Congrats on taking the course! I had fun as a DM and became an instructor, and if circumstances permit, maybe you can too!

I wouldn't expect most instructors would point you to the direction of a completed EAP. While I do circulate completed EAPs among DM candidates, I don't think I would show any to a candidate who was taking a crack at writing his own.

Look at it this way. As a DM, you're not superman. No superstrengh, and while your dive skills are (hopefully) better honed than those of the majority of rec divers, let's face it, you can't walk on water.

As a DM, what really sets you apart, (and I believe what your customers really want from you) is judgment! Doing you own EAP is a test of YOUR judgment.

What do YOU think should be in there? As a customer, what would YOU expect the DM to know about the site that you didn't? Which contact numbers are most helpful in an emergency? DAN? Coast Guard? Local EMS? All three?

When there's an incident, and everyone else panics (except for the Rescue Divers, DM's and Instructors,) what local knowledge can you contribute? What things/people at the site can be used in an emergency (things people would overlook).

Assuming no cell phone, where's the nearest phone? Nearest source of ice? Blankets? Emergency O2? Nearest first aid kit?

Stuff like that.

Also, what I like to see is site-specific tips which PREVENT accidents from happening in the first place. (Ex: At Obyan beach shore dive, rough terrain and waves on walk to ropes through cut in reef means people fall, so inflate your BCD's on the beach, before you get near the water.)

Good luck!

When I did mine, I started big and got smaller.

You need to tally all the resources in your area (medical facilities, chambers, EMS, transportation, etc) and think of every possible situation and problem that can potentially occur. Then, find a way to compress everything into a simple chart that is easy to follow and very logical. Easier said than done and definitely requires some careful planning.

Good luck.

Congratulations on doing your DM, I completed mine in Oz 2004 and had a bit of an attack on my EEP from my instructors but it paid off in the end. I found that a flow chart approach gave the best result as it's easy to follow. Don't forget the order of things eg. when contacting your dive base/shop then would you use the marine radio, a mobile or other boats (if you are out of range). Also things like closest decomm' chamber, was it an in water accident or on the boat/land? Don't forget that each EEP is different depending on location.

Relax and enjoy your time & remember Stop, Think, Act.

Thanks alot guys. Yep, my instructor didn't give us any guide lines but I guess he simply want us to come up with our own approach. I like the idea of flow chart. I will see how I can apply it to my.

Again, thanks to all. I just love diving and I have not doubt at the moment that I will go further to become an instructor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You need to consider: communication with the emergency responders, piloting the boat (including heading just offwind for the helicopter or requesting direction on this from the responders in advance of their arrival), tending to the injured diver, securing loose items on the boat deck and clearing any obstructions from the area where the basket will be lowered from the helicopter, marking the vessel for easier sighting if needed, recording information (and making sure this reaches the responders) such as time and actions taken, providing direction to everyone including what to do about the basket or responder that is lowered to the vessel.

Keep thinking of everything that needs to be done, and then come up with the list of what everyone will have to do to carry it out. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom