Great White Shark Attack, Central Oregon Coast, USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Baumann

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During the Thanksgiving weekend I visited Newport Oregon, and spoke with a woman about a shark attack off the Oregon coast at Lincoln Beach. This woman talked of a response by a Lincoln City police officer, to a surfer being attacked in the week prior to Thanksgiving, 2006. The police officer was the woman's son who is also a frequent surfer at that beach, and the story was recalling an incident that involved a surfer buddy of his.
The surfer was attacked at the front of his surf board, and luckily he sustained no injuries. It was determined from tooth marks and from the bite radius of the chunk taken from the surf board, the shark which was concluded to be a Great White was in the neighborhood of 16 feet in length. Other surfers saw the shark during the attack.
The woman, with whom I spoke was the manager of a store in Nye Beach. She responded with a positive statement when asked about her son's thoughts on the attack. "My son has always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie - police force, BMX bike racing, skateboarding. This will not dissuade him from surfing."
Great White shark attacks are not uncommon in the waters off the coast of Northern California and Oregon. Surfer attacks are presumed to be a case of mistaken identity, falling prey to the shark's inability to differentiate them from surface swimming seals and seal lions, in the Northwestern Pacific Ocean's turbid conditions and less than perfect water clarity.

be well... Craig - diver_gent@msn.com

Glad the guy made it out okay. I know the odds are low with regards to attacks, but I like my limbs too much.

One of the reasons I've never considered taking up surfing (the other being that I have no sense of balance!).

In 2000 I was surfing Wadell Creek just south of Ano Nuevo on the California coast. Ano is where the elephant seals haul out and breed, Wadell Creek has a decent spring run of salmon, and also a nice reef/beach break setup at the river mouth. It was early in the morning, glassy, calm conditions, and I saw a white shark eat a seal about a 100 yards away from me.

Came up under the seal and exploded on it, I have a clear image of shark with seal in mouth as it came out of the water.

A week later, a student at UC Santa Cruz had the nose of his board bitten off at the same spot, I bet it was the same shark . . .

I'll take encounters with six gills up here any day over that one.

Glad the guy was ok. The only encounter I had while surfing was off the pier in Imperial Beach CA. A school of fish was under me and then they split up to both sides of me and a shark swam between my legs. he never tried to bite, I think he was trying to cath the schooling bait fish. I get far less encounters now living in West Texas.

Glad the guy is OK!

Got to respect the whites.
I just finished reading the Devil's Teeth, non-fiction book chronicling the whites of the Farralon Islands. Incredible read if you are into that sort of thing. One item that really stuck with me is the interview with, and accounts of the only commercial urchin diver willing to dive there (don't have the book in front of me and can't remember his name). Anyway, he has hundreds of in-water GW sightings and some harrowing accounts as well.
Sorry to hijack , just wanted to share.

I used to go to Seaside/Cannon Beach Oregon quite a bit many years ago...we were all warned about possible shark attacks on the southern side of HayStack rock and were told about a "warm current" that swept through there bringing sharks. Hence, we always played on the Northern side...probably an old wives tale, but ya never know.
K

A surfer was hit yesterday or today near stinsen beach. Jacked his board but he sustained minor injuries. It was on the news today in San Jose CA. The surfer was from Gernville. Estimates are a 15 foot GW

Wow that guy will have a hell of a story to tell, exciting that he was OK, I bet he keeps that board with the chunk missing as a trophy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom