Cozumel Eagle Ray Takes a Jump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I was diving Coz last week when a 300+ pound Eagle Ray in pursuit of a couple of fish accidently "flew" into our boat. Although unfortunate, it was a fluke that it happened. The ray of course died in less than an hour; no way we could get the guy back out of the boat and into the water. It took five husky guys to haul it out at the dock. The biggest SCUBA event I've ever experienced OUT of the water, to be sure...

Anyway, looking for any photos of this they can forward--at the dock or otherwise--as it was the one day that i did NOT bring my camera.

Thanks!

Yes unfortunately this happens from time to time. You never know what can happen....Just last year I was diving in Bonaire when about 10 dolphins circled around me...they moved in closer and closer until it was a very tight circle. One by one they swam up to me and winked at me and then swam away. Right after the last one got done he nodded his head in one direction and there were 5 Whale Sharks swimming right at me.

Like you I forgot my camera for the dive. My dive buddy didnt notice it either...he turned away briefly and missed it all. :shakehead:

I was diving Coz last week when a 300+ pound Eagle Ray in pursuit of a couple of fish accidently "flew" into our boat. Although unfortunate, it was a fluke that it happened. The ray of course died in less than an hour; no way we could get the guy back out of the boat and into the water. It took five husky guys to haul it out at the dock. The biggest SCUBA event I've ever experienced OUT of the water, to be sure...

Anyway, looking for any photos of this they can forward--at the dock or otherwise--as it was the one day that i did NOT bring my camera.

Thanks!
I have seen rays breach repeatedly, and have had small fish land in my lap while sailing, so I believe your story. But my girlfriend always says, "If you don't have a picture, you didn't see it."

I am surprised they weigh that much.

Just last year I was diving in Bonaire when about 10 dolphins circled around me...they moved in closer and closer until it was a very tight circle. One by one they swam up to me and winked at me and then swam away.
I was part of the group that trained them to do this; damned smart, those dolphins, if you give them enough sardines.

Here in the keys I see the rays breach constantly(never on the boat though)

We were on the boat too and can vouch for Jane's story. (Hey Jane, I haven't forgotten to send you the pictures. I just haven't gotten stuff unpacked from the trip etc. ) The next day we talked to Gabriel and he said that they had to cut the wings off of the eagle ray to move it and that the remaining "torso" weighed almost 400 lbs! (The wingspan was between 8 and 10 ft) They took it into town and said that it would feed 70 people for week. The more I have replayed the day, the more thankful I am that we were under the water when the eagle ray jumped in to take our spots!I am also so thankful that we did not take our 11 year old daughter along as a "bubble watcher" as we had previously planned to do. I think we were all very fortunate that the captain and the other two people present on the boat weren't injured.. I also must say that I was extremely impressed with the respect that those on the boat and on the dock showed to this magistic creature.
If I can figure out how to post the pictures, I will. Otherwise I will email them to Jane and she can post them for me :)

Just last year I was diving in Bonaire when about 10 dolphins circled around me...they moved in closer and closer until it was a very tight circle. One by one they swam up to me and winked at me and then swam away. Right after the last one got done he nodded his head in one direction and there were 5 Whale Sharks swimming right at me.

WOW... awesome.

Jane, and BBarnes, please get the pictures up here soon, all of us would love to see them.

I dont know about loving to see them...it's kind of sad. However, my experience with the dolphins and the 5 Whale Sharks was a very unforgettable experience...although I've seen better.

Back
Top Bottom