Shark kills diver near Turtle Island, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just found this report of a diver killed by a shark yesterday in Fiji. Not much information yet. Looks like he failed to surface and they found him on the bottom with wounds from a shark.

From the first article:
May 15, 2008
"Police are investigating the death of a man who was killed by a shark while diving off Turtle Island in Fiji.

Aisake Sadole, 28, had injuries on his face and left leg consistent with a shark attack.

Authorities told CDNN the shark attack victim was night diving with six other divers in Yasawa waters near Turtle Island, a popular scuba diving destination." The rest of the article is here:

CDNN :: Shark Killed Diver off Fiji's Turtle Island

More information here:
UnderwaterTimes | Fijian Night Diver Killed By Shark Attack

For example, were the injuries pre- or post-mortem?

Yup..

I would like to hear more details as well.

Correct me if I am wrong please, But would this not be the first diver in years or ever killed by a shark??

I can find no SCUBA DIVER fatalities by shark in D.A.N Records.

Sorry, looks like the accident happened on the evening of the 14th not the 15th.

This story attributes the death to excessive blood loss from the wounds:
Story Here

But the information is VERY sketchy with very few details. The report of death from the blood loss may be speculation.

Wonder why the names of the other party members or charter service are not mentioned?

Actually a diver died after being bitten by a (Bull?) shark in the Bahamas in February. The boat left from Florida to dive with the sharks without a cage. There is more information here: Shark tour leader was warned of danger, diver says - CNN.com

Your a little late to that party! You don't need no stinkin cage! So whats your point? This one has been beat to death and the coroners report is still out and he may have died form an embolism?

Your a little late to that party! You don't need no stinkin cage! So whats your point? This one has been beat to death and the coroners report is still out and he may have died form an embolism?

My point is that this is not the first diver in years (or even many months) to die by a shark attack (or related trauma), though it is extremely rare.

As far as the cage remark, I agree that in many cases (i.e. Stuart Cove's where a tagging study has shown that many are repeat customers) no cage is necessary. I just happen to have a different opinion when it comes to some species (i.e. I wouldn't knowingly dive without a cage if Great Whites of Bulls were expected). Its simply an opinion, yours is obviously different.

My point is that this is not the first diver in years (or even many months) to die by a shark attack (or related trauma), though it is extremely rare.

Indeed, to put it into perspective, cars kill more than 200,000 times as many people each year as sharks.

Back
Top Bottom