Possible death on the oriskany Nov 14, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Accidents.

That's unfortunate. I know a couple of divers who go out there regularly...I'll ask them and see if anyone knows anything.

A thread with more information about CCR's is located here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rebreather-diving/311125-ccr-truths-misconceptions.html

As a reminder, this forum has special rules which will be enforced.
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sherrif's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Guy,s my diving friends were there on a private boat. Just got the call. Do not know a lot of information, but it was a fatality.

Known facts: I will be adding them to this post as they come to light for easy reference.

• Accident Victim is Timothy Teagarden, 51, from Georgia. Confirmed fatality.
  • Diving the Oriskany around noon.
  • Surface current reported at ~1-2 knots. Current at depth reported ~4+ knots. {These speeds are questionable}
  • Visibility reported to be poor.
  • Victim on CCR, reportedly unresponsive at depth.
  • Brought to surface by another CCR diver.
  • Victim was aboard a charter with Dive Under Dive Shop from Gulf Shores, AL.
  • Victim remained unresponsive at surface. CPR performed for ~40 minutes.
  • Boat was delayed leaving the scene due to divers in the water, presumed to have been intercepted by Coast Guard.
  • Victim was taken to Pensacola Naval Air Station then flown to Baptist Hospital.

Information taken from first hand report on another board: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/291347-post10.html

• Victim was part of a 3 man team
  • Buddy observed him at depth at the time of loss of conciousness
  • Victim did not respond to bailout reg and brought to surface immediately.
  • Unit appeared to be functioning with a PO2 of 1.3
  • Speculation amongst team (including a surgeon) is a cardiac event

Some Oriskany Info: http://www.mbtdivers.com/OriskanyHome.htm

Last edited:

Known facts: I will be adding them to this post as they come to light for easy reference.

Thanks Cave Diver
Don,t want to give any information until family notified.

Very unfortunate. Please keep us updated with any information you have

I was there. Male, Mid-40's Rebreather. Doubt it's possible he survived. Will post more in a few minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom