Shark attack. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel26

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We had reasontly shark attack just on the border of
South Africa, it happened in Mozambique Ponta Do'ora. .

The guy was 27 year old, went for a swim in the sea and
was attacked by a Zambezi shark a.k.a Bull shark. .
He said that he was swimming and feld something are bumping
him. . He then swam out with a wave. . When the water got
knee deep then the shark attacked him. .

What was for me stupid are the fact that he went swimming
in water where he couldn't even see the ocean bed (Mozambique
in known for viz of atleast 20meters/ 60feet). . He was shoulder
depth in the murkey dirty water swimming, dont know what the
ass was thinking. .

For what? ? How stupid can you be. . If you know sharks then
you will most propably know this is Zambezi shark / Bull shark
teritory water that they prefer to hunt in. . For all that i care
the guy could have died. . Now the sharks are going to get all
the blame for the attack because of one dumb ass who can't
think. .

Is it wrong of me to be angry? ? What do you think on the
attack? ?

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Thank you for your post.

I try to avoid using phrase "shark attack" because I don't see these incidents as attacks. I see these incidents as the sharks behaving in their natural way.

From your post, I'm not quite sure how injured the swimmer is from this shark encounter.

Being angry at the swimmer is fine as far as I am concerned.

Jeff

Well, attacking things that look like lunch in their feeding area is the natural way. You could even get away with calling this unprovoked. I sure as hell won't blame the shark, though.

People know enough not to jump into freezing water and go for a lengthy swim. They know not to go for a stroll through lion country in the dark. It should be made just as obvious that you don't want to swim in murky water in areas where predators feed. What does it take to get the message across?

sharks do not attack people. that is silly. the swimmer was in water where the shark was feeding on fish. He felt a bump because the shark did not know what that was and was checking him out. Poor fellow to get a bite, but no , no one has to be angry just stop perpetuating the myth that "sharks" are a problem. It is their habitat we are visitors...

respectfully,
ww

It looks to me like this was an attack. Often, they are not, but I wouldn't know how else to describe this one. Yes, the shark was behaving in its natural way. It is a predator. Predators attack their prey.

I would not think the victim is stupid nor would I be angry at him. He took a risk. He was hurt as a result. We all take risks every day. Should we all be angry at everyone all the time? Should we all think we are all stupid?

Most places people swim they cannot see the bottom.

A couple friends and I had a close call with a couple of very aggressive Bull Sharks almost 4 years ago. We could see the bottom and we were on SCUBA instead of swimming. Had we not been on SCUBA, the outcome would probably have been very different. Did we make mistakes that led to these sharks thinking we were food? Yes, we made several. We did some stupid things. None of us are stupid. Is there a reason to be angry with us? I don't believe so, you may disagree.

Sharks do attack people. Fortunately, it is rare, but it does happen. Any time you get in the water where they are, it could happen to you.

Walter,
Don't suppose you've written up an account of your 'incident' with the bulls 4 years ago? If so, could you possibly post a link? TIA.

To the OP, I wouldn't be angry with the guy who got bitten, but you're right in that it will just add to the media frenzy about man eating sharks. This in turn gives them a bad name and this in turn does not help the cause of cherishing and preserving them. Humans kill around 100,000,000 sharks each year.

J

You don't care if a person lives or dies? Where does one go from there?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should not have sympathy for someone injured by a shark.

But the facts are that these "attacks" which are normal behaviors are oversensationalized and have turned these critters into some demon of the deep in some people's eyes therefore "justifying" the horrors visited upon this population.

People should be far more concerned with the ocean tides and the swimming skills of swimmers. Those are the things that kill.

Aussie Shark Attack HORROR? Notes from the Bartender

It looks very much to me like Karel is doing a bit more than suggest we not have sympathy.

Karel26:
For all that i care the guy could have died.

lulubelle:
But the facts are that these "attacks" which are normal behaviors are oversensationalized and have turned these critters into some demon of the deep in some people's eyes therefore "justifying" the horrors visited upon this population.

No argument there. I agree much more is often made of these rare attacks than should be. I also agree that some of the times sharks bite people, it isn't really an attack, but a defensive move. In this case, I don't see what it could be called but an attack. Maybe there are other facts that could change my opinion, but so far it looks like an attack to me.

Yes, currents, tides, poor swimming ability all kill people in the ocean and much more frequently than sharks, but sharks do kill people as well.

Back
Top Bottom