Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moray Eel attack?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Moray Eel attack?

Have you ever been attacked by an eel? I was always under the impression that they look mean, but are relitively harmless. I guess I found out what "relitively harmless" really means. I went diving at a wonderfull Caribbean vaction locale and incountered a free swimming morey on a night dive. My buddy and I saw the eel, and I reached over to touch its tail. As I glanced on past him (her), I felt this intense tugging on the thigh of my wetsuit. I figured it was my buddy getting my attention to look at the eel and shrugged it off. The next thing I know is that the morey eel was up close and personnal with my BC, legs, tank and almost biting my face. I raised my hand and it swam off. That was exhilerating to say the least. After the dive, my buddy said, "I want to shake the hand of a man who servived a morey attack". I was like, " what do you mean?". It appears that the intense tugging I felt was the morey gnawing on my leg. It did'nt leave any marks on my wetsuit, thank goodness. It was brand new.
    Anyone else have any eel stories? I now have a little more respect for these critters.
    So relitively, I was attacked severly, but was not harmed.

just fodder for the masses

Mr. B

isn't going to set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I've never considered "relatively harmless" to mean "something that wants to be petted."

Registered

has no status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubble View Post
    Have you ever been attacked by an eel? I was always under the impression that they look mean, but are relitively harmless. I guess I found out what "relitively harmless" really means. I went diving at a wonderfull Caribbean vaction locale and incountered a free swimming morey on a night dive. My buddy and I saw the eel, and I reached over to touch its tail. As I glanced on past him (her), I felt this intense tugging on the thigh of my wetsuit. I figured it was my buddy getting my attention to look at the eel and shrugged it off. The next thing I know is that the morey eel was up close and personnal with my BC, legs, tank and almost biting my face. I raised my hand and it swam off. That was exhilerating to say the least. After the dive, my buddy said, "I want to shake the hand of a man who servived a morey attack". I was like, " what do you mean?". It appears that the intense tugging I felt was the morey gnawing on my leg. It did'nt leave any marks on my wetsuit, thank goodness. It was brand new.
    Anyone else have any eel stories? I now have a little more respect for these critters.
    So relitively, I was attacked severly, but was not harmed.

just fodder for the masses

Mr. B
    Generally speaking, I am always under the impression that you should not poke and prod at animals with large teeth. Marine life is better to look at than to touch, and if you had ended up with a laceration things might not have gone so well.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I saw a free swimming green moray bite a woman in the face. It was poking around in the coral, and suddenly a high-speed lobster blasted out. The moray tried for the lobster, missed, and bit the woman. She didn't even see it -- at first, she thought someone had kicked her.

I'll get up pretty close if they are in their hole, but I give the free swimming ones plenty of room now.

A friend of mine was on a dive in Maui, and the dive master reached into a hole to try to get an octopus out. The DM found out the hard way that there was also a moray in the hole, when it bit his hand.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    If you stuck you hand in the face of a cougar and got bitten would you feel that you had been attacked?

DM's sticking theirs hands in holes for octopus?

I always assume that people have common sense but I'm frequently wrong.

Noobasaurus Rex

Go Red - Support SB!

Counting the days till our
    next dive trip...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    Spend some time in an ER and you quickly learn that common sense isn't.
    I used to have money. Now I go diving.

Registered

finally has a new car

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    Common sense isn't very common...

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    It was a night dive. The eel just sort of appeared, free swimming within arms reach. I touched the very end of it's tail as it passed by. It must have circled around without me noticing and then attaked my leg. It then wrapped itself all around my tank, throughy legs again, heading for my face, mouth wide open. My only defense was an arm strike towards it, and it swam away.

Don't include me with people who stick their hands in holes while underwater.

As my first post stated, I am interested in reports of other attacks of this nature,

Thanks.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Just because an animal is within arm's reach doesn't mean you should have touched it.

But, from your OP, it sounds like you've learned a valuable lesson from your experience.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
    -Mark Twain

Registered

finally has a new car

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubble View Post
    It was a night dive. The eel just sort of appeared, free swimming within arms reach. I touched the very end of it's tail as it passed by. It must have circled around without me noticing and then attaked my leg. It then wrapped itself all around my tank, throughy legs again, heading for my face, mouth wide open. My only defense was an arm strike towards it, and it swam away.

Don't include me with people who stick their hands in holes while underwater.

As my first post stated, I am interested in reports of other attacks of this nature,

Thanks.
    I don't see a lot of difference to be honest, touching a Moray is asking for trouble. I've seen a photo of what one did to someones thumb (tore it off) when he tried something similar. Plus when you touch an animal and it strikes you it's more defensive, not really an attack?

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast