Fatality at Peacock Springs today (07-07-2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Diver drowned in P1 today. Peanut line. The details are coming out on CDF.

I might copy them over here and maybe the thread link.

Sad , sad , sad day in Cave Country. :depressed::depressed::depressed:

(sigh)

Jean

I was following that earlier. I didn't know this diver but it is a very sad situation. My prayers for everyone involved.

Details have revealed this was an Intro level cave diver who planned a dive consisting of 2 jumps, completing a circuit, and violating the rule of 1/6s. 3 of the 5 accident analysis rules violated. It is a very sad day...

Details have revealed this was an Intro level cave diver who planned a dive consisting of 2 jumps, completing a circuit, and violating the rule of 1/6s. 3 of the 5 accident analysis rules violated.

I also thought that when I read the details that have come out. Drives home the point of why to stay within one's training, unless in a course under the supervision of an instructor. Makes the limitations I'm under make more sense (not that I ever questioned them).

As sad as it is Rob is 100% correct. I did 169 dives between cavern and full cave and never broke a rule. Those that do need to realize that cave isn't going anywhere. There is plenty of time to dive it when you are ready.

Wow, anyone know who it is? I was supposed to be there today, but was asked to DM a large class elsewhere.

Wow, this is horrible. My prayers to the friends and family. So sad. :(

EDIT**
I'm tore up. These were my dive buddies that I cancelled on today. This couple which is usually a trio dives this same spot every wednesday for about 5 years. They keep it really simple, really short dives. Buddy said that the she started looking/feeling disoriented then bolted in the wrong direction. He struggled to catch her, showed her line arrows on the line and she bolted again beyond his reach.

I'm not sure what's appropriate here. I don't want to give names if that's not cool. This is very sad.

As sad as it is Rob is 100% correct. I did 169 dives between cavern and full cave and never broke a rule. Those that do need to realize that cave isn't going anywhere. There is plenty of time to dive it when you are ready.

I have never gone beyond them myself, except when my instructor is working with me (not really breaking them in that case). I have even been asked to break them by more advanced divers, but refused. From intro until now, I have about 40 cave dives; most in training, some for simple experience. Though I really want to finish up (& hopefully will very soon), until then I will stay within the limitations set for someone of my level.

I have never gone beyond them myself, except when my instructor is working with me (not really breaking them in that case). I have even been asked to break them by more advanced divers, but refused. From intro until now, I have about 40 cave dives; most in training, some for simple experience. Though I really want to finish up (& hopefully will very soon), until then I will stay within the limitations set for someone of my level.
Just don't forget cave training isn't about getting a full cave card. No need to rush to full cave, I had over 100 cave dives before full cave, and only about 10 of them were training dives.

Wow, anyone know who it is? I was supposed to be there today, but was asked to DM a large class elsewhere.

Wow, this is horrible. My prayers to the friends and family. So sad. :(

EDIT**
I'm tore up. These were my dive buddies that I cancelled on today. This couple which is usually a trio dives this same spot every wednesday for about 5 years. They keep it really simple, really short dives. Buddy said that the she started looking/feeling disoriented then bolted in the wrong direction. He struggled to catch her, showed her line arrows on the line and she bolted again beyond his reach.

I'm not sure what's appropriate here. I don't want to give names if that's not cool. This is very sad.
I think most of us know the name, but let's not post it in public until we're 100% certain the family is notified.

All indications so far are that they broke their training standards rather severely (diving past 1/6s, multiple, blind jumps, etc). Was this usually the case when you dived with them?

EDIT**

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom