Diver Down Panama City / Mexico Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Female diver brought up. Boatmates were doing CPR on the way in to Mexico Beach in the 11:00-12:00 time frame today. Boat was yellow and black ("The Stinger" I think).

Any additional info appreciated.

Edit: just found this wmbb.com - Scuba Incident Being Investigated

Scuba Incident Being Investigated
10/23/10 - 05:55 PM
United States Coast Guard
RSS Feed
click for larger image Bay County, Fla:

A diving trip in the Gulf of Mexico turns bad, when a woman goes unresponsive underwater.

U.S. Coast Guard officials say it happened around 10:45 Saturday morning about 15 miles offshore from Port St. Joe.

A group was scuba diving around the Sherman Tug area, when the woman went unconscious. Officials say another diver noticed she was inverted and had dropped her gear.

The woman was pulled back up to the boat. Coast Guard officials say she was taken to the pier in Mexico Beach, where an EMS team tried to resuscitate her.

Mexico Beach Police officials say the case was turned over to the medical examiners office.

Read more: wmbb.com - Scuba Incident Being Investigated

We could hear the coast guard questioning the crew of the boat but we could not hear the boat in questions responses, it was very hard to listen to. A very tragic incident!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,

Posts not meeting the criteria above have been removed.
Rick

UPDATE: Scuba Incident Being Investigated
10/23/10 - 05:55 PM
United States Coast Guard
feed_logo.gif
RSS Feed

Bay County, Fla:
The U.S. Coast Guard is releasing the name of the victim involved in a scuba diving incident.
It happened around 10:45 Saturday morning. The Coast Guard Confirms a woman named Paula J. Grines was scuba diving with a group about 15 miles offshore from Port Saint Joe.
Coast Guard officials say while she was diving, Grines went unconscious. Another diver noticed she was inverted and that she had dropped her gear.
Paula Grines was pulled back up to the boat. Coast Guard officials say she was taken to the pier in Mexico Beach where EMS officials tried to resuscitate her, but she passed away.
The medical examiner is trying to figure out exactly how Grines died.

Read more: wmbb.com - UPDATE: Scuba Incident Being Investigated

Should comment on this wait until after the investigation is complete?

FSUgly, that is an excellent point. Can you give us a link to another dive incident in which the investigation is complete so that we can discuss that? Or point us to an official report of another incident?

I keep asking people for the official reports and complete investigation results of another incident so we can do as they suggest and discuss the official report. Why is it that no one ever give us a link or an official report?

Anyway FSUgly, just give us the link to the completed investigation from another incident and we can hold off on this one while we discuss the report you provide us access to.

Look, I'm only asking because I WAS ON THAT BOAT. I don't want to comment or give an account of what occurred if it is not to be discussed before the investigation is complete. That is why I was asking.

Look, I'm only asking because I WAS ON THAT BOAT. I don't want to comment or give an account of what occurred if it is not to be discussed before the investigation is complete. That is why I was asking.

If you have additional information (beyond the scarce stuff in the news) then I'm sure there are many folks here who are interested.

The name of the unfortunate diver is now public. That is one specific mentioned in the forum rules.

If you have been cautioned by the authorities, and requested by them to hold off, then by all means cooperate with them.

If you are free to discuss the events, please share your firsthand knowledge.

FUGgly, sorry if I came across too strongly. Its just that there never is an official report.

And I am sorry that you had to witness such a horrific event.

Use your own judgment about what you feel is appropriate to share and not share and when the time for such would be right.

We try to learn from the limited information listed in news accounts and that is about all we get. We discuss what might have happened and ways to either avoid the situation the first place or how to solve the problem when it happens if possible.

Once in a while we get someone like you who was there and can shed more light. Sometimes eye witnesses are able to do that and sometimes it is just too much to talk about.

Again I am sorry for coming across so strongly to you in my last post. Please forgive me.

Should comment on this wait until after the investigation is complete?

We're here to learn. We want to keep ourselves from being victims of a dive accident, and learn how best to manage an accident if it happens anyway. The Coast Guard, Police, and Medical Examiner's Office won't ever bother to share any meaningful information with the dive community. Unfortunately, we are the only source of any information that makes it to these boards.

If you're comfortable sharing, then many divers would appreciate what you have to say. If you're NOT comfortable sharing, then most here will understand, and the ones who don't aren't worth worrying over anyway.

-h

Back
Top Bottom