BC Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Had an interesting dive before Christmas. Hardly even an “incident”, but possibly this will be a decent reminder to others. I was solo diving on a wreck in 80 feet of water in a full 7 mm suit with hooded vest and another hood. I was using a HP 120 steel tank, a pony bottle and 16 lbs of lead on my wt belt. Water was around 60 degrees, COLD for me.

Dove for the prior two days with no issues. Entered the water and descended quickly with no visual reference. As I approached the wreck, I added air to the BC.

Did it a few times and it had no effect on my buoyancy. Landed on the wreck with a thud and laid on my inflator for 5-6 seconds, while holding my breath and could hear the bubbles leaving the BC as fast as they entered. BC held zero air. Thank goodness I can clear my ears easily that day, because it was pretty much an uncontrolled descent for the last 20 feet.

I was quite heavy. What to do? No anchor line to climb. I finished my normal dive and sent up a large smb on a reel and reeled myself up (with a little kicking to help).

When I got on the boat, found that the top piece (at the location where the corrugated hose screws into the BC bag) of my sea quest inflator mechanism was GONE. No over pressure spring, no rubber plate, no screw-on cap, just an open conduit at the top end of my BC hose.

Remember to check the tightness of these connections frequently. When I was a dive master, I was constantly checking customer’s BC’s and about every trip would find at least one Bc that had dangerously loose screw in connections. I typically check my own frequently.

The seas were very rough and we got pounded all of the previous night so maybe it got vibrated loose and fell off when I did a back roll. Who knows, never found any loose parts on board. I don't always do a full pre-dive check and generally enter the water with zero air in my BC.

Could have ditched the belt or tried to swim up, but to be honest, I was pretty darn heavy at 80 feet with a full tank.

Thanks for the information, glad to see that you made it out, this is something to consider for the next dive

When I got on the boat, found that the top piece (at the location where the corrugated hose screws into the BC bag) of my sea quest inflator mechanism was GONE. No over pressure spring, no rubber plate, no screw-on cap, just an open conduit at the top end of my BC hose.

Would you believe some folks think a pull-dump is just an unnecessary failure point.:D

Nicely handled. Does SQ even offer a simple elbow connection?

You must have been (and still be) narc'd.

I've been told repeatedly and empathically by other members of SB that issues like this cannot possibly occur...and that such concerns should be discredited when considering equipment configurations and options... :wink:

I'm glad you knew what to do and handled it well, many people would have not fared so well.

There was a diver in San Diego, CA that drowned less than 50 feet from shore in less than 15 feet of water because of a failure similar to what you had happen. He was coming back in from a beach dive and the elbow of the inflator hose either broke off or came loose and all the air in his BC escaped. The man was overweighted and went straight to the bottom and drowned. They figured couldn't find a reg to breath out of in time which led to panic then death.
His buddy was already on the beach thinking he was right behind him. When he turned around to talk to him after getting out his buddy was nowhere to be found.

I was quite heavy. What to do? No anchor line to climb. I finished my normal dive and sent up a large smb on a reel and reeled myself up (with a little kicking to help).
I think I would have ditched ten pounds of lead--roughly equal to the weight of the gas--shot the bag, and swam to the surface as soon as I recognized the problem, thereby retainng a huge reserve of gas in case the plan was in some way flawed (say, for example, I still couldn't swim it up, or I was so out of shape that my SAC tripled from the effort).

Thank you for the story. I've heard various estimates of how much lift a 7 mil wetsuit can lose at depth, and it sounds from your story as though the estimates on the higher side are more accurate.

I am glad you had the SMB with you.
I have one of the ginormous DAN Sausages on me at all times for the last several years.
It would serve in a pinch.

Chug
Likes inflatables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom