Eel Attack in Cozumel (The Feeding of Lionfish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyceschur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Chicago (but also NY and the Middle East)
# of dives
200 - 499
I just came back from Cozumel where I sustained a nasty bite by a moray eel.
Contrary to most assumptions, I was not being provocative or reckless, and I had not inadvertently invaded the eel’s territory or been in contact with the reef. I'm an experienced, NON-camera toting DM with terrific buoyancy control and tremendous respect for sea life.

Because eels (especially during daylight hours) tend to be shy/non-aggressive and the attack was so unusual, the divers who witnessed it were similarly perplexed and concerned. Here are some of the circumstances involved:

In Cozumel, like many other places, there is growing anxiety about the lionfish population. I've already been to several dive destinations where, during the course of a dive, guides take time out to net/spear any lionfish they come across.

On this past trip, it went one step further. The guides carried small, highly effective, improvised spear devices (made from rubberbands & pointers). Any lionfish spotted were killed, filleted, and fed to local eels/grouper on the reef. This took place DURING the dive! The proffered logic: eels/grouper can be "taught" to enjoy the taste and will "develop" into lionfish predators.

On the particular reef/dive where I was bitten and just prior to the attack, we watched our guide kill, fillet, and feed 8 lionfish to local eels/grouper and note: he was stung by one lionfish in the process. Also note, this was a highly reputable dive operation and several of the hired DMs were similarly engaged in the kill/fillet/feed process.

Aside from obvious professional concerns (DMs are diverting their attention from divers they’re paid to guide), I wonder if such conduct is really "teaching" eels/grouper to become lionfish predators or are they simply being "conditioned" to view divers as sources of food? Killing lionfish and leaving the remains to be eaten is not the same thing as intentionally feeding local eels on a popular dive site. I strongly feel this practice should be abandoned.

Last edited:
I agree. It doesn't teach them how to catch live lion fish.

Joyce, I hope your injuries are not severe and you recuperate with a minimum of discomfort. I agree with you that the practice of hand-feeding eels is more likely to teach them to associate divers, rather than lionfish, with food. In general, we should minimize our contact with reef denizens, in my opinion. Except with (invasive) lionfish; while it will probably prove futile, I am still in favor of killing them at every opportunity. I don't see much downside to it, assuming we desist in training morays to attack.

We shouldn't forget that fish, too, have varying personalities. Shyness, aggressiveness, risk-taking, etc., traits that apparently can also be modified by experiences such as losing a fight. So it's not entirely unreasonable that it might have been an encounter with a congenitally grumpy eel. We shouldn't assume we know what they're thinking.

(My cat, for instance. That look in his eyes when he rolls over on his back is not gleeful anticipation of play or a stomach pat. It's murderous premeditation.)

Joyce,

I dive Cozumel frequently and have expereinced the same kill/filet/feed you described. But on my last trip, the DM captured the Lionfish and then released it directly in front of the large grouper who had been shadowing us in hopes of getting free food. The grouper eventually got the message that if he wanted the Lionfish he would have to do his own dirty work and swallowed up the little reef-killer.

In speaking with the DM after the dive, I asked him about why he did this instead of just killing and cutting it up. He explained that the dive shops have wanted to take time to get the fish acclimated to the taste of Lionfish...and now the plan is to gradually stop the killing/fileting/feeding and do a "catch and present" type of thing.....this slowly teaches the fish that they have to be the predatory fish....not the diver.

So sorry about your bite....hope it gets better fast fast fast. How many stitches?

Where did you get bitten? I've personally seen two people being bitten by moray eels in the past, and both cases were because the divers were using their hands to help them swim/turn around. Considering that moray eels are practically blind and squids/octopuses are often part of their diet, any kind of hand motions may trigger predatory reflexes even during the day.

Sorry you got bit and hope you heal quickly and well. Must have been awful. I think you hit this well...!!
Aside from obvious professional concerns (DMs are diverting their attention from divers they’re paid to guide), I wonder if such conduct is really "teaching" eels/grouper to become lionfish predators or are they simply being "conditioned" to view divers as sources of food? Killing lionfish and leaving the remains to be eaten is not the same thing as intentionally feeding local eels on a popular dive site. I strongly feel this practice should be abandoned.

The bad lesson here - divers mean free food.

"On the particular reef/dive where I was bitten and just prior to the attack, we watched our guide kill, fillet, and feed 8 lionfish to local eels/grouper"

Can I ask if by "filleting" the Lionfish, you mean they remove the spines underwater or make an actual fillet??

Here on Utila we have been introducing the dead Lionfish to local species to encourage an interest. In fact, today I introduced a dead Lionfish to both a Spotted Moray and a Lobster.
By "introduced", I mean I put the dead Lionfish alongside these species and watched at a distance to see if they took a bite. No faffing around with the Lionfish is neccessary in any way, surely and any such faffing (ie prolonged visual association with a food source) will only make the local species feel as if they are being fed?
Forgive my frankness but why on earth are the native species being fed filleted fish?? To save them from death of venom (when the groupers and every other species that predate them in other oceans seem to be able to eat them without dying)?
I cannot help but wonder if the "filleting" is more of a performance put on by the DM to satisty over- sentimental divers or to show some kind of concern for the local species which is not needed. Just killing the Lionfish is enough, as is putting it near a native species and then moving away.
Perhaps this is an example of people going to far. And getting everyone around them bitten in return.
*Rant over*

We were "attacked" by a VERY LARGE moray eel in Cozmel in December. Luckily it didn't bite me or my buddy.

I found out after the dive that the DM in the group ahead of us had been feeding the eel some Lionfish only minutes before we arrived on the scene.

Here is the vicious bugger:

69512_160265160684212_100001021886622_326877_2322889_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom