Two fatalities in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NvScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I hope this rumor is wrong and I am hoping somebody in the Monterey area may be able to confirm or shed some light. I am an instructor in Nevada and have received a call indicating that a couple of youth divers from our area may have been involved in a night diving fatality. They were in Monterey on a field trip with their school and a dive shop that I am not affiliated with so information on our side of the Sierras is very little and the rumors in our small community are running wild. Any information would be helpful even if it's just a confirmation of the incident.

Thanks

S

I don't have full details, but wrapping up a class today the Coast Guard checked to see if we happened to find two divers missing off of the Monterey Express. Shortly afterward the two bodies were found.

The boat was just off of breakwater, rumor is that they were part of an OW class, students were 16 and 17 years old.

Condolences to the families.

Last edited by a moderator:
S-
there was an incident this morning in Monterey. I haven't heard reports on the outcome. If I see anything, I'll link it.

Very tragic but I think this is going to hit close to home. Thanks for the responses and any additional information as it becomes available will be appreciated.

whats going on with the express?...last weekend they went out to the metridium field and dropped anchor to dive,,,ive never seen a commercial dive boat anchor out at breakwater on a busy weekend in a area that divers frequent... such a tragic event...my prayers go out to all.

A coast guard chopper was scanning the area from the breakwater to lovers point. When me and my buddy got out at lovers, a cop came up to us and asked where we started from. We figured some happened.

Local news station

KION 46:

MONTEREY, Calif— Monterey Police say two scuba divers went missing in the water and were later found dead. The two divers were on a scuba diving tour boat off the coast in between Monterey and Pacific Grove.

The Coast Guard, Monterrey Police and Monterey Fire officials all responded to the emergency.

We are still learning details about the incident and will update information as it becomes available.

Nothing on the other local station yet.

Thanks ScubaViedo... I have heard that notifications are official and they are youths from our area here in Northern Nevada. They went to Monterey with an oceanography class. No other details are available and speculation as to the cause and circumstances is all that is available over here. Hopefully facts will be released and answers can be provided to the families. A very sad day for divers there and here. Safe diving to all and God bless those we have lost.

Unfortunately, myself and KLJ witnessed this awful event from the beach this afternoon. We are both pretty shook up. We werent on the boat so cant confirm the identities of those involved. Below ill give what i know from what we witnessed. Our hearts and wishes go out the the families involved.

San Carlos Beach/ Breakwater (BW) was really busy this morning with what appeared to be several large groups of students in classes. Myself and KLJ had just come out from a fairly typical dive- conditions were ok- vis was down to about 7-10 feet along the wall, entry and waves were easy- maybe 1 1/2 - 2 foot waves, although there was the occasional larger 3 foot. Maybe 1-2 foot of surge at the wall which disappeared at around 15 foot of depth. water temp was 54-56oF.

While talking over the first dive, we noticed a dive boat going right to left, pretty slowly, right off the BW. They looked to be out only as far as the end of the breakwater, going towards metridium fields- so pretty close in. We tracked them go left as far as maybe hidden beach- assuming they were making plans to go to Hopkins Deep or that area. At this point there where a lot of divers in the water. Pretty soon after, we noticed several other boats converge in the area- 6 or 7 boats where clearly visible off to the far left from BW and appeared to be searching for someone. Pretty soon, the Coast Guard boat also joined, at one point coming really close in to the kelp beds off the middle of BW and doing a search pattern. It searched that area for 10-15 minutes before rejoining the other boats. At this time, a pair of Coast Guards came on foot and informed the various groups that there was a search situation but that they had very little info about the diver or divers involved (ie black wetsuits, yellow masks and fins). Fire crew on an extended ladder where elevated above the parking lot doing visual scans, as were a number of police department and Coast Guard officers as well as several bystanders on the BW. The coast guard plane joined the search running a large circle around the area and was joined 20 or so minutes later by the helicopter, which performed a low level sweep across BW (west to east) and out towards the outer Aquarium area. Unfortunately, at this time, the Coast Guard boat peeled away from the group and made a high speed run to the boat ramp next to the Deli, just as EMT and Fire crews arrived at the BW. Coast Guard were visibly working on both divers on the boat and up the ramp to the waiting EMT bus.

I cannot confirm the ages or the identities of those involved, but i hope that these extra details about the extensive search (the search was going on for 2- 2 1/2 hours) will help clarify the situation.

We are both so sorry for the families involved and our heartfelt wishes go their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom