Need Thoughts/Opinions on Potential Post-Dive Illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fiance' and I were diving in Panama City Beach on Memorial day. Since diving she has expereinced continued nausea and vertigo type symptoms. I have not enrolled her in DAN yet , so I do not think I can call them....so I figured I would ask those learned folks on the board for their opinion on whether they think this is a dive related issue. The following is a profile of the day.

3' seas with swells up to 5'-6'. I do not get sea-sick but my fiance' evidently does. She is new to diving and this was her first Gulf dive. ( Prior dives were in Cozumel). She was sea-sick prior to getting into the water and actually threw up several times. She dove air. First dive was the Black Bart. 25 min dive at max depth of 75'. Surface interval of 67 minutes. Threw up several times on SA. Second dive was the Navy Hovercraft. Similar dive to the first...75 feet but she managed air better so we were down about 35 minutes. She got sick at about 30 minutes into the dive at 68 feet and threw up into her regulator....gave me the thumbs up so we surfaced.

I keep a good eye on her during her dives and did not notice anything unusual. IN fact, she did a much better job on these dives at maintaining neutral in the water than on previous dives. My only concern is that she initially went up the ascent line a little fast than I prefer. ( I am slow to ascend...using hand over hand on the line) I stopped her and gave her the signal to slow down. All safety stops were maintained....and in fact, she was bouncing on the line sduring the first safety stop and started getting ill.

Other than just generally feeling like crap, naseau and the vertigo/dizziness there are no other symptoms....however, since it has been lasting this long I am thinking a trip to doctor is warranted.

Does anything in the above give concern to any of you guys who "are in the know".

Thanks.

The vertigo is very concerning, because it could represent a significant inner ear injury. I concur with the advice to call DAN -- I believe they will help you find a diving-savving ENT doc near you, even if you are not members.

Call DAN. At the very least they will direct you to a local MD that knows about diving and will have more acumen with respect to understanding the potential illnesses driven by it.

Just making sure it was clearly said :D Too many people hesitate to call DAN in a timely manner. Denial is a huge problem when treatment could be needed.

Please take a moment and let us know the outcome. It doesn't sound like there is a reason for the vertigo, and the prognosis could be something to learn from.

I understand Peter. Pulling the trigger on DAN is not an issue for me. When I got into diving, I read this forum daily to learn as much as possible. I tend to very safety oriented...even to the point of diving with the (GASP) pony tank. I simply didn't know if DAN would respond to a non-member question. The irony is that on the way down to Florida it dawned on me that we had not enrolled her in DAN yet....so I made a mental note to do so as soon as I got back into the office on Monday. Just goes to show you .....you need it the very first time you step into the water. Again...thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep you posted....we are on our way to the doctor now

I bought a car yesterday but danged sure didn't drive off the lot until I got it on my insurance. Difficult phone call as I just could not understand the phone agent but got it done.

Calling DAN is much easier. After hours, you have to register online to get immediate insurance. I once knew a guy who did that only after seeing a friend go to the chamber and the next day he went. Paid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom