three divers rescued in the St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just found out that three divers have been taken to River Hospital in Alexandria Bay, NY. The story came out at noon on channel 7. They were diving the Roy E. Jodery which sits in deep water in the narrows. Luckily the Coast Guard was training in the area and had two boats close by. No names or the status of the divers is known yet. You can check the story out at , wwnytv.com. My hopes, thoughts, and prayers for all. My thanks to the Coast Guard as well.

To be exact, "deep" is 240'........ oh man, I hope this comes out okay....

Update: Divers Rescued From St. Lawrence River | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Watertown, NY | Local News

Story Published: Aug 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM EDT

Story Updated: Aug 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM EDT

At least three divers were taken to River Hospital in Alexandria Bay at noon Wednesday after getting in trouble in the American Narrows.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard in Buffalo said the divers were in the water at the narrows, which is by the Coast Guard station on Wellesley Island.

They were diving the wreck of the 'Roy E. Jodery,' which is in deep water in the narrows.

The Jodery is a 700 foot long freighter which sunk after hitting a shoal in 1973.

Coincidentally, the Coast Guard was training in the area and had two boats near-by.

The crews spotted a diver in the water, waving at them.

One boat took that diver, who had surfaced too quickly, to River Hospital.

The other boat took a second diver, who was unconscious, to River Hospital as well. That boat had an emergency medical technician on board who was able to administer CPR to the diver.

A third diver was also rescued. That diver surfaced slowly and appeared to be ok, but was taken to River Hospital for observation.

The identities and conditions of the divers were not immediately known.

What the **** is going on around here?!?!?! All these diver incidents / deaths? :idk:

Oh, no. I'm so sorry to hear that. I was on the river yesterday diving The Islander (a relatively easy, shallow wreck).

What the **** is going on around here?!?!?! All these diver incidents / deaths? :idk:

Diving is not necessarily safe, and this can be a complicated dive. Of all the dives that take place all the time the fatality rate (considering the ****ty educational standards that are for most) is pretty low, but it just seems higher here because you hear about all of them.

Wow that's pretty scary as I dive in the St-Lawrence also. Really hits you more when this happens close to where you dive. So sorry for the family loss.

Diving is not necessarily safe, and this can be a complicated dive. Of all the dives that take place all the time the fatality rate (considering the ****ty educational standards that are for most) is pretty low, but it just seems higher here because you hear about all of them.

Basically agree with what you say, but anyone doing 240 feet in cold water presumably knows what they are doing.

Would be very interested to know what caused this.

an awful tragedy.....
big boat with a lot of hazards
sometimes,with even the best of planning and training,$hit can go wrong and keep cascading!!
prayers to the families
and hopes that these incidents don't frighten the new recreational divers to be
yaeg

Back
Top Bottom