Instructor diver mysterious death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The article can't be technically accurate as it mentions an oxygen tank. If he was using EAN it could be oxygen toxicity or narcosis. It reminds me of the death of Rob Palmer who also died on a deep dive in the Red Sea, likely of nitrogen narcosis.

Adam

I'm sorry to the family for their loss. My condolences to everyone involved.

I hope more details come out about this tragic incident. Like most accidents, ALOT of things don't make sense to me.

I will not speculate at this point as to what could, or should, have been done because I don't think that is really fair.

I will say however, that based on the friends and family's account of the diver involved, and his level of experience and training, things are not adding up in my mind.

I will follow this thread and hope to learn more.

I would ALSO like to learn MORE about the other diver that died, the Russian instructor, as well. So if anyone has info on that incident could you please post.

Again my regards go out to the family.

The article can't be technically accurate as it mentions an oxygen tank. If he was using EAN it could be oxygen toxicity or narcosis. It reminds me of the death of Rob Palmer who also died on a deep dive in the Red Sea, likely of nitrogen narcosis.

Adam

Adam I was thinking along the same lines. But based on his experience, to me, if narcosis was setting in he would have noticed and ascended a bit. Sounds more likely Oxygen toxicity that he wasn't aware of.

But again, I don't want to speculate yet. I want to wait for more facts to come out.

Adam

Ismail was really good instructor and there is information that the so called "tourists" were rebreader technical divers from UK...so the case is like a criminal story...no body...no evidences...and the "tourists" actions aren't clear...

Giozon - do you have ANY "facts" from the incident. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just mean info that the story doesn't mention.

Like what type of dive was it? (rec / tec)
What type of equipment were they using? (rec, tec, rebreathers, etc)
What was at the location they were visiting? (wreck, reef, etc)
Where there any safety redundancies in place? (spare air, etc)

Things like that we can try to piece together what did, and what did NOT happen.

Until some of the other divers talk it is going to be near impossible to truly know, but with some facts we can try to make "accurate speculations"

Thanks

Ismail was really good instructor and there is information that the so called "tourists" were rebreader technical divers from UK...so the case is like a criminal story...no body...no evidences...and the "tourists" actions aren't clear...

What do you think happened Giozon

Giozon - do you have ANY "facts" from the incident. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just mean info that the story doesn't mention.

Like what type of dive was it? (rec / tec)
What type of equipment were they using? (rec, tec, rebreathers, etc)
What was at the location they were visiting? (wreck, reef, etc)
Where there any safety redundancies in place? (spare air, etc)

Things like that we can try to piece together what did, and what did NOT happen.

Until some of the other divers talk it is going to be near impossible to truly know, but with some facts we can try to make "accurate speculations"

Thanks

As far as I know it was a kind of tec safary to unknown wrek Al Madina (or something like that) at 90m depth. Ismail wasn't using a rebreather, the two UK divers were with rebreathers...there is info also that Ismail was too heavy that is why the UK divers couldn't save him...there is info that the UK divers tryed to put the reg in his mouth but it is not clear why they couldn't inflate his buoy although they returned with their own buoys...all this information is very contradictionary and I can't confirm it...that is why I posted this message if somebody has more firm information.

If they were with him, and trying to put his reg into his mouth when the problem occurred, why did they "let go of him," and allow him to sink further down? Between the other divers (3 in total), even with the extra weight he may, or may not (we don't know) have been carrying, they could have inflated THEIR BC's and brought him up to the surface.

And I can understand they couldn't get HIS marker inflated, but THEY had 6 MORE between them. Why did NONE of the others inflate THEIRS to mark?

And you said the 2 UK divers tried to assist, but there were 4 total divers. The victim and the 2 UK divers makes 3 ...... Where was the 4th diver and what was he doing this whole time?

Lots of things aren't very clear bud, and I'm sorry you have to go through this.

If they were with him, and trying to put his reg into his mouth when the problem occurred, why did they "let go of him," and allow him to sink further down? Between the other divers (3 in total), even with the extra weight he may, or may not (we don't know) have been carrying, they could have inflated THEIR BC's and brought him up to the surface.

And I can understand they couldn't get HIS marker inflated, but THEY had 6 MORE between them. Why did NONE of the others inflate THEIRS to mark?

And you said the 2 UK divers tried to assist, but there were 4 total divers. The victim and the 2 UK divers makes 3 ...... Where was the 4th diver and what was he doing this whole time?

Lots of things aren't very clear bud, and I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I told you, there is a lot of contradictionary info and I encourage everyone who has more information to share it with the diving comunity in order to find the truth about this case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom