Bad weekend in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver71_au

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just heard that there were two snorkel deaths and a possible scuba death (missing diver) in Indonesia.

Detail are scarce but what I have is:
1) Snorkeller in the NE of Bali - possibly caught in a clam
2) Snorkeller found floating - possibly doing deep breathold dives
3) SCUBA diver missing in Nusa Panida possibly separated from group during mola mola dive.

No further details at this stage but if anyone can fill in any blanks the information would be very welcome.

I seriously doubt anybody died because they got caught in a clam. That's barely plausible and far from probable. :shakehead:

Bali can be deceptively easy at times--the currents have to be respected.

Clam is correct, according to the rumours we have so far. Snorkeler puts hand in giant clam during solo duck-dive, clam shuts, hand is trapped, supposed to have happened in Tulamben. Like I say, this is the story through the dive community.

Found this video on youtube relating to this topic.
Ignorant (lucky) diver at Crsytal Bay - YouTube

I also heard rumors from my dive shop that the missing person is a lady from Thailand. She was diving with her sister when they encountered a strong down current. Her sister came back up with DCS but she went missing. Again, this is at least 4th hand rumor from the dive shop I go to. Hope she is still alive and OK.

Clam is correct, according to the rumours we have so far. Snorkeler puts hand in giant clam during solo duck-dive, clam shuts, hand is trapped, supposed to have happened in Tulamben. Like I say, this is the story through the dive community.

I can see that happening in the coral garden ... it's so shallow, and there's a lot of clams there.

Can also see the Nusa Panida separation happening ... that's where Cheng and I got swept, and if a fishing boat hadn't happened by ... who knows ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, Amanda. If that scenario is confirmed it will be the first time a human death in the grips of a clam has been substantiated, though it has certainly been the topic of legend. I look forward to an authoritative account.

From the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology:

Despite their classic movie depictions as "killer clams," there are no authentic cases of people being trapped and drowned by giant clams.

It's actually been over the course of a month but still makes those of us in the dive community out here a bit nervous about the lack of respect some have for the sea and the professionals that brief these sites. From what I know it has been 2 divers and one snorkeler.

1st diver was found floating on the surface in Amed (just down the road from Tulamben). I personally know the Instructor that pulled them from the water and started CPR. Suspected lung over-expansion injury but no confirmation.

2nd diver was caught in a down current in Crystal Bay out at Nusa Penida while doing a Mola Mola dive. It was a female diver from Thailand and unfortunately she is no longer with us. She was found 4 days later on Sanur beach.

Snorkeler was found on the surface in Tulamben and as mentioned had been solo duck-diving. First I've heard of the clam but there are quite a few in Coral Garden and on the USAT Liberty. Hard to believe though as they shut rather quickly when you get within a meter or so of them.

Please listen to the people that are taking you out to these sites. I've been out here diving every day for over 3 months now and the conditions at Nusa Penida have changed drastically over that time. Visibility is still great but the currents are unpredictable, no matter what tide chart you are looking at. One of the local guides our center uses has over 5000 dives at Penida alone and he said he's never seen it as bad as it has been over the last month or so. Respect the briefings that are being given (especially with respect to bottom times and depths), carry appropriate equipment for the dive your on, and please DON'T CHASE or HARASS the wildlife. You are not going to catch a Mola Mola, especially if it's hanging out in heavy current at 40 meters and there's a good chance that the lionfish or scorpionfish your poking with your camera strobe is going to poke you back. The majority of guides here really know their stuff and they don't give useless information. Briefings are for your benefit, take advantage of them because the sea doesn't ask for your respect, it demands it.

... and there's a good chance that the lionfish or scorpionfish your poking with your camera strobe is going to poke you back.

:shakehead: ... Darwin is fond of folks like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just spent a week diving at Penida/Lembongan and did all those dives with the currents. Each time I've dived at Penida (four different trips thus far), the local guides say the currents are the worst they've ever seen, but in my own experience they are always tricky there. Penida is smack in the way of the Indonesian Throughflow, and the channel between Penida and Ceningan, around Blue Corner, and into Crystal Bay is (and has always been known as) a high current area. Only experienced divers should contemplate diving there.

As for the clam story... I dunno. I see these clams all the time, and while they "flinch" and close up a little when we approach them, you'd have to stick your hand right down into the siphon for it to shut up tight enough to drown you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom