Account of first shark attack in Seychelles on 1st August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a very consistent story, even allowing for the translation. The opening piece says he died of a wound to the leg (which should never happen) and later on, it's said that "he had almost no belly".

Just as a teaching point . . . An extremity injury should never kill anybody. As my surgery textbook said, you can put your thumb over he end of a garden hose and stop the water flow -- and a garden hose has more pressure in it than any artery in the human body. If there is a wound on which one can hold direct pressure, that is the immediate strategy. If it is a large wound with a lot of muscle bleeding, as with the thigh, this is the one time a tourniquet is a reasonable approach. Yes, you may lose the limb, but it's better than losing your life.

I do not know if knowing this would have made any difference in this case, but if the wound was indeed on the leg, it might have -- and it's a good thing for everyone to know.

The report I read overnight at work said the shark hit him repeatly. His leg(s?) torso, missing an arm. So bad his wife was kept from seeing the body on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom