A Close Call (from jsonline)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkpoop

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Cost Guard rescues 13 from capsized charter boat
e-mail print By Erin Richards of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: Aug. 27, 2011 5:42 p.m. |(7) Comments

A vessel carrying a group of scuba divers in Lake Michigan capsized two miles east of Whitefish Bay Saturday and had to be assisted by the U.S. Coast Guard.

The three-person crew and all 10 passengers aboard Diver's Delight Scuba Charter were returned to shore at McKinley Marina, checked by medical staff and determined to be safe with no injuries, the Coast Guard said in a news release Saturday.

Diver's Delight is owned by Ralph Ripple and operates out of a West Bend address, according to the company's website.

Tracy Ripple, said the group had planned to do a couple of 100-foot dives to a shipwreck Saturday and set off from McKinley Marina.

She received a call from her husband while she was driving to work in Port Washington Saturday morning.

"Call the Coast Guard," she heard her husband say. "The boat flipped over."

Tracy Ripple said she looked up the Coast Guard's Milwaukee number and called them. She worried about her husband in the cold Lake Michigan water because he was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. The divers would be wearing wet suits, she said.

Meanwhile, the boat's Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, a hand-held device, sent out a distress alert at 10:38 a.m. that alerted the Coast Guard's 9th District command center in Cleveland, Ohio.

The Coast Guard contacted Ralph Ripple by cell phone, who confirmed that all 13 people were sitting on top of the capsized vessel with their life jackets on.

A Coast Guard rescue team that arrived at the scene transported the boaters back to McKinley Marina, where they were inspected by medical personnel.

Tracy Ripple said Saturday afternoon that she hadn't heard from her husband about why the approximate 28-foot boat had capsized. Ralph Ripple didn't answer a reporter's calls to his cell phone.

"My guess was that the boat was anchored and the wind blew or something, or maybe it got twisted and brushed by a wave," she said.

A Coast Guard official in Cleveland said that four to six foot waves were reported in the vicinity of the capsized boat.

"We will be doing an investigation since it was a charter vessel," Petty Officer First Class Lauren Jorgenson said. "Weather might have been a factor but we won't know until the investigation is complete."

Tracy Ripple said her husband did manage to call her back briefly to let her know that all the divers were fine.

"I told him, 'I suppose they'll want their money back?'

"And he said, 'Yeah.' "

Small craft advisory was posted and is still in effect

Last edited:
This was a Chicago Scuba Meetup trip, with 3 crew and 10 divers. We had clipped onto the mooring line from the wreck, but the seas were unsettled (wind and current in opposite direction?) so we were wallowing, often sideways to the waves. Waves were washing over the rails, and the water sloshed from side to side with the waves until (rather quickly) we rolled over. It was a wet ride out with waves, so most but not all divers had the dry suits zipped up or their wet suits on, but we didn't have BCDs or masks on yet. Two people had safety sausages in their suit pockets. Most people got on top of the overturned boat. The captain got an answer from New Orleans (!) on his EPIRB, and after an hour or so we were really glad to see the Coast Guard show up with three boats! All got fished out.

All dive gear, cameras, and several sets of car keys were lost to the lake... But the most important thing is that we all made it back to shore, thanks to the Coast Guard! CJ

Glad everyone is okay and hope some of your gear floats to shore. People laugh because I wear a snorkel vest on moving boats, but I don't care.

Glad you made it back safe.
Keep your BCD inflated on the boat in rough seas especially on inflatables or unstable craft. if it flips, it makes a good float to hang onto in an emergency. I've been flipped off zodiacs a few times.

very lucky and glad the day ended well.

Just thinking ! the conditions seemed bad.Was a decision thought about cancelling the dive before you hooked up.

Oh Boy that will be a trip chicago divers will never forget! WE are so gratefull all members and crew are OK!!
msn link=
13 rescued after charter boat capsizes - Local News - Milwaukee, WI - msnbc.com
The boat in mention is a older boston whaler the skipper well seaseoned on the Great lakes,but a bad habit as most skippers that make the news of going out in weather boats of that draw would stay in port.
heres a photo and the coast gaurd mentioned 4'-6' footers,Them whalers may be unsinkable but capsizing would be unthinkable!
newleftboat.jpg
S.S. Milwaukee wreck site? I hope the locals get back Chicago dive groups equipment back to them!
And again THANK GOD NO ONE WAS HURt!
Dive Safe,
Brad

Glad everyone is okay and hope some of your gear floats to shore. People laugh because I wear a snorkel vest on moving boats, but I don't care.

I don't think that's funny,if that make you feel more comfortable and assured fair enough.

I remember in the Red once we were crossing and it really became choppy,so much so i put my BCD on,some laughed but 5 minutes later they were all doing it as it got more choppy.I did not laugh but did inside :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom