Jacksonville man dies diving off Big Pine Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Article from above link (not to discourage people from clicking through now, but so that this thread will still make sense in future when the link may no longer work).

Jacksonville man dies diving off Big Pine Key

By KeysNet
Posted - Thursday, October 06, 2011 04:23 PM EDT

A Jacksonville man diving from a private boat off Big Pine Key was found dead Thursday by the U.S. Coast Guard, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and TowBoatUS.

Charles Newman, 62, was aboard the 25-foot Seawind with five friends, including the boat's owner, James Williams, also of Jacksonville, says Deputy Becky Herrin from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Four of them, including Newman, reportedly were diving since 9:30 a.m.; the others told Detective Jason Madnick they'd last seen Newman in the water between 10 and 11 a.m.

When the others climbed aboard around 11:30 a.m., they realized he was not with them and they couldn't find him. They called the Coast Guard.

Newman was found a short time later in the center of Bogie Channel in about 10 to 15 feet of water. His body was brought into the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp. An autopsy is planned.

When the others climbed aboard around 11:30 a.m., they realized he was not with them and they couldn't find him. They called the Coast Guard.

:shocked2: What a great group of dive partners... :shakehead:

No buddy assignment or one that was less than observant of his buddy... I cannot imagine how this can happen, pretty often it seems like, that a group gets back to a boat and there realize that someone is missing...!

:shocked2: What a great group of dive partners... :shakehead:

No buddy assignment or one that was less than observant of his buddy... I cannot imagine how this can happen, pretty often it seems like, that a group gets back to a boat and there realize that someone is missing...!

i heard(not official) this AM that they were lobstering and or spearfishing in the channel between big pine and no name key. winds were above 20KTs @ times yesterday, i suspect the viz inside was dreadfull and the current, depending on the tide, was strong especially in close proximity to the deeper channel and bridge,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Darwin wants you dead...
Simple explaination here; no established dive plan (obiously), no established buddy/team, or total violation of the buddy/team contact and communication protocol... ~or~ five solo divers [most likely] Then reference my first comment above. Anyone want to put odds on how much gas the diver had in his bottle when he was recovered?

He was 62, I am sure he would of had a buddy if he wanted one. This age has been the middle of the divers Dying in florida. It will happen If you are unaware of your health, not to say this gentleman died of a heart attack yet for some reason diving in this age has been caused from heart attacks while diving.

It does sound like a bad place to dive as reefman has put his dive site info on what the conditions could be like, and could have contributed to the cause of death. On the surface tells me he had troubles and surfaced, if the water conditions were that bad, he could of died dealing with surface conditions.

Reactions: Jax
Darwin wants you dead...
Simple explaination here; no established dive plan (obiously), no established buddy/team, or total violation of the buddy/team contact and communication protocol... ~or~ five solo divers [most likely] Then reference my first comment above. Anyone want to put odds on how much gas the diver had in his bottle when he was recovered?[/QUOE]

i suspect zero gas in his cylinder(althought @ 62 yrs of a age, the deceased might have expierenced a medical issue). max depth directly under the bogie channel bridge is 17ft, the depths in the channel average between 6-12FT according to an old chart i have and as i stated earlier with the wind blowing, the viz inside was probably no more than 5-10 ft and that may be generous,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Wait for the autopsy.

i concurr. althought the autopsy results on the vast majority of dive and snorkle incidents are rarely made public here in monroe county,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom