Bent diver at Yukon - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Diver in distress at wreckage of "Yukon" off Mission Beach - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Lifeguards have rescued a diver in distress Saturday at the wreck of the Canadian destroyer Yukon, about a mile off the coast of Mission Beach.

The call came in just after 5 p.m. from the commercial sport diving boat "Humboldt."

Lifeguards say a 42-year-old woman surfaced unconscious, and was suffering symptoms related to decompression.

She was taken to lifeguard headquarters in Quivera Basin, then to the hyperbaric chamber at UCSD Medical Center. No word on her condition at this hour.

A little different story today. Excerpting from Diver Rescued Off Mission Bay Coast | NBC San Diego
Lifeguards received the call at about 5 p.m. from a sport diving boat, “Humbolt”. It was reported that the woman was diving off the Yukon shipwreck earlier in the day.
The woman was said to be conscious once she surfaced from the water but became fatigued shortly after, according to officials.
The woman was later placed in a hyperbaric chamber at UCSD Medical Center, after being taken to lifeguard headquarters and no details were given on her current condition.

That's a much better scenario. Good one on the crew for pulling the trigger on sending her to the chamber, instead of shrugging off significant fatigue.

All the best, James

Reactions: Jax
FYI: Yes, severe Fatigue is indeed one sign of possible DCS. Not talking about feeling a little tired as usual after a dive, but severe and unusual fatigue.

Anyone have an update on her? Hopefully all ended well after a boring 6 hrs in the chamber.

I would assume that the woman would know if she pushed her limits. I believe the Yukon sits in 100' of water, so not horrible deep, but deep enough to require caution. I hope for a full recovery if needed.

For those that don't know the Yukon is an artificial reef and has mooring lines.
Divers are advised to use the moorings for ascents and descents.
Divers doing AOW are know to be taken hear, so I'd think the conditions are considered intermediate.

[speculation]
If the diver had a problem with buoyancy or was blown off the wreck, a rapid accent may have occurred.
This being due to not using the mooring for the accent.
[/speculation]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom