Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
It appears the Oriskany may have claimed another life today. We were on site for a couple of dives but ended up calling the dives before we ever got in. While seas were fairly calm when we left, the forecast was wrong and we ended up in 3-4 foot seas and we were getting tossed all over the place. Had we been planning recreational dives, it might have been okay, but we were on a technical charter and it was pretty evident that getting off and on the boat was going to be pretty difficult in those conditions. Another boat was on site with recreational divers who had gotten in the water. As we were getting ready to leave we found out one of their divers was overdue. We circled around the area looking for the diver in hopes the diver was hopefully blown off the wreck and floating on the surface somewhere beyond our sight over the 4 foot waves. We spent about an hour doing this. During this time the other boat captain made a call to the coast guard and a call for assistance was put out. Several fishing boats in the area showed up to help search the surface. A couple of divers on that boat went down to the flight deck and did a search in the area of the tower and down the escalator. While we had trimix on board, our O2 percentages were too rich to go below the flight deck and none of us had reels or lights to look inside the wreck. By the time we left the diver was about 1.5 hours overdue. The coast guard was en route. Divers with appropriate trimix blends were also en route from Pensacola. While it would be nice to think we just missed finding the diver on the surface, I think that would be hoping for too much at this point. Let's hope the search team remains safe and the diver is found soon. I'm intentionally keeping details about the diver out of this post until I know the next of kin has been notified. Another sad day.

[h=1]53yo diver missing off Pensacola's coast[/h]Updated: Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 6:56 PM CDT
Published : Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 4:35 PM CDT
  • Brandon McFarland
PENSACOLA, Fla. ( WALA) - The Coast Guard is searching for a 53-year-old man who went diving off the Pensacola coast. The search centers around the sunken USS Oriskany.
The diver was reported missing at 11:38 a.m. Saturday, 38 minutes after he was supposed to resurface. His dive began at 9:50 a.m. We're told the diver had three tanks filled with mixed gases that would have allowed him to dive deeper than oxygen.
He was also equipped with a strobe light and a flashlight.
A HC144 aircraft from ATC Mobile is assisting in the search. There is also a 41 foot utility boat, the Cutter Seahawk, an HH65 from New Orleans, the Fish and Wildlife Commission, and a dive boat from the Escambia SAR with three divers on board. Two of those divers are from a local dive shop.
The Oriskany was towed to Pensacola in December 2004 and was sunk with controlled charges in order to make an artificial reef. The bridge of the Oriskany is 70 feet below the surface, and the flight deck is 130 feet below.

FOX10 News is monitoring the search and will update you here on fox10tv.com when new information is received.

Posting the details of the link for future reference when the link goes dead.

Doesn't look good right now, but let's hope and pray he turns up.

I hadn't heard about earlier fatalities on the Mighty O. Is this not the first?

Side note: always irritating to read sloppy journalism about diving on "oxygen".

Sad news - thanks for the update.....

sorry duplicate to above story

Last edited:
Posting the details of the link for future reference when the link goes dead.

Thanks. That's more information than was up when I posted it. Since they have added some details, I'll add he was diving a rebreather.

Rhone Man:
Doesn't look good right now, but let's hope and pray he turns up.

I hadn't heard about earlier fatalities on the Mighty O. Is this not the first?

This is number 8.

The search is ongoing. A family member has made a direct request that no further details be released here, and that speculation and conclusions be withheld until the search has been concluded. Notification of other family members is pending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom