Jan-Lars Hanz missing off of UAE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Mr. Hanz seems to be on the board of directors at Impressum - Inner Space Explorers

From Diver goes missing on shipwreck expedition - The National
DUBAI //A member of a team of divers who find and explore deep-lying shipwrecks is missing after becoming separated from his colleagues in waters off the northeast coast at Dibba. An extensive search involving boats and helicopters has failed to find any trace of Jan-Lars Hanz, 34, a highly trained and experienced diver from Germany.

Mr Hanz lives in Abu Dhabi with his wife Silke, 40, and their 16-month-old daughter, Julia. A friend who broke the news to Mrs Hanz described the heartbreaking task as his "darkest hour".

The diver went missing on Saturday after beginning a descent on a line to the wreck of a supertanker lying on the seabed 112 metres below the surface.

At 20 metres down, Mr Hanz indicated to the two divers with him that he was having trouble easing the pressure on his eardrums. He signalled to them to continue while he went back up to 10 metres. By the time a second team of divers descended 20 minutes later, he had disappeared.

"We think it could have been a heart attack or something like that, or equipment failure," said Bill Leeman, the dive-team leader. "We'll never know because I doubt they'll ever find him, it's too deep for recovery or even a search.

"Everybody was devastated. It was a 10-metre problem that should never have happened given the level of diving that this guy was at.

"He did everything by the book and was the most capable diver on that trip, totally focused on what he did."

The members of Dubai's Desert Sports Diving Club were on a weekend live-aboard trip on a dhow. The tragedy happened on their second day exploring the wreck of the Sagheera, a Saudi-registered vessel that sank and split into two sections 22 kilometres from shore after an on-board explosion in January 1989.

Rebreather?

As I was looking around, he had blogged about recieving a Hyperion rebreather last year. I would assume, from that, he uses rebreathers.

If I were young and adventurous again, I'd be doing that dive on a rebreather.

Bob
------------------------------------------------
From the land of pure spectulation.

News of this started filtering through on Saturday afternoon.

There are conflicting reports on whether he was using CCR or OC. The coverage press wise has been pretty scant. However, as Bill Leeman was the dive leader, my money would be on CCR.

The depth of that site isn't the only prohibitive factor regarding a search. The currents on the east coast of the UAE peninsula, up into Oman, can be very strong. He could certainly have travelled a good distance in a short space of time.

If there are any more updates from the diving community or local press, I will post them here. I am diving from Dibba this weekend, so I may know more then.

My thoughts go out to the family at this time.

Hm ... another shallow SCR accident?

hello guys, I'm a member of the family of jan-lars from germany. today I translated this very sad article to his father. on my search for more information I found this board. I know there is nearly no hope for finding jan alive. but please ... if anyone especially simon hears any news .. tell me. in germany we don't know what really happens, there is no information except the article above.
thanks, katja
p.s. can anybody explain what a "Hyperion rebreather" is?

I would have thought SCR is more user friendly than CCR with not much electronic to worry about.
But using SCR for 120m dive should involve using couple of travel gases, shouldn't it? Please advice.

Sad news indeed.

We do not, at this stage, know if a rebreather was involved. That's an assumption.

Jan was a good friend of mine with whom i had dived a number of times.
I would ask that all assumption and speculation is witheld until such time as more details about this horrible accident are made public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom