Video: SCUBA Failure at 80 Feet, Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We headed out for an afternoon dive on Saturday. My son (13 yrs old) and I are planning on doing a typical dive, drift along in 80 feet or so in a slight to moderate current and hope to shoot a little video, test out some video lights and maybe my son will shoot a fish and I brought a pole spear.

This is a drift dive, we are towing a surface float using a reel and a small reef hook, to allow us to hook off here and there. We both use pony bottles for pretty much all out dives. I’m using yoke valves/regs.. because well… that is what I have always done.

As you can see in this video, all of a sudden a loud noise is heard. I immediately knew it was a serious scuba failure. I look over to my son and he looks ok and I realize I am the one who has a problem. I wave him over and he flies over super fast and I signal to shut off….I assume that a LP hose must have exploded. I mean what else is likely to happen while just swimming around, 12 minutes into the dive?

I trust him well enough to allow him to look at my tanks, figure out which one has a problem and shut it down. For some reason, I assume it is my primary tank. I had no basis for this, but it was just my first instinct to fear that the more serious problem had occurred. At the same time, I figure, what the hell, I might as well film this, it might be cool to see…

He shuts the valve down very fast, and I am breathing tentatively expecting that my reg will stop delivering air any moment now. I ask what happened and he kinda throws his arms up, but then says pony bottle. I could not hear him and then I am beginning to think that it must have been a problem with the pony, because .. hey I’m still breathing… but he signals to me that it is the pony bottle. (I mis the across the throat sign that he gives) and he seems to be indicating he wants me to go to the pony bottle… so I switch over to it. Well that didn’t go too well; it was dead. And I switch back to the primary and the incident is over.

So I decide to continue the dive without the redundancy, I kinda feel guilty doing it, but hey most people dive 80 feet with no redundancy…What more can happen?

He goes on to make a nice shot on a snapper and that goes in my bag. Maybe 5 minutes later I am filming a 5-6 ft nurse shark under a ledge and this 5 ft green moray comes out of nowhere and tries to eat my camera (or me?). Scared the crap out of me. I scream like a little girl for my son to protect me and the thing actually bites my fin tip!

I pull the float and move on, figuring the eel has had enough with a few pokes.. Well he keeps following us, my son reports that at one time the eel came totally out of the hole and was shooting up at my calf with his mouth open and he pokes him off. I never saw or filmed any of that. The darn thing follows us for a few hundred yards and then comes off the bottom and up at me into the water column, although I only filmed part of that.. I found it pretty humorous and was beginning to think that maybe “SOMEBODY” doesn’t want us diving here, but we continue on and get a few more fish.. an exciting dive. Had those fish for lunch today. Very good!

None of this was staged. I pieced together video from a hand held camera and the head camera. Upon inspection, the white (plastic O-ring) in the pony bottle valve was damaged and just partially extruded. I guess those are nylon O-rings?.

[video=youtube_share;Bap2PxetarQ]http://youtu.be/Bap2PxetarQ[/video]

I'm still stuck at the 13 year old at 80 feet. He certainly protected you a few times. You're the most vocal diver I've ever heard... Good thing it was just the pony. That's unusual for the o-ring to let go at depth, isn't it? I've seen them go above water, especially when they've been pressurized for a long time.

haha great video, how about that vis, never get vis like that around sydney.

thats hilarious youre both trying to talk underwater

Yeah, I'm stuck on the 13 year old at 80 feet too... And clearly he's very competent. You must be one proud papa! :)

...And yes, looks like the little man's got your back. :)

Love Palm Beach... Awesome diving, awesome vis, awesome reefs!

...And I couldn't agree more about the vocals... Never heard anyone quite so vocal underwater. :) I smiled at your laughter regarding the moray, but winced at the "GET HIM!" I heard you yelling underwater... What's the season for moray eel? C'mon, now... That was his home. Glad your son had the wherewithal to not shoot him.

You seem like a really busy diver... Two cameras, a reef hook, a pole spear, a catch bag, a pony, at least three second stages, a dive flag and reel... And how many lights? Add your son (who is clearly not any kind of hinderance), his pony, his spear gun, his reef hook... THEN all of the "normal" dive gear... And you want MORE (as in taking fish)?

Look, man, I know a lot of people fish underwater, but it almost seems unsportsmanly... You just swim up and stab 'em... I mean, here we are, looking at the sights and the pretty fishes and all of the most wonderful things, and... *THUP* you stab 'em. :) Almost seems... I dunno... Mean. Predatory.

Sorry if I seem whiney - I just have this thing about life and conservation and God's creatures. For that matter, the reef hooks are a concept I'm not comfortable with either.

You're quite blessed to have such a skillful buddy in your son. I hope that one day I get to have the same. :)

You know, it's wonderful to look at the world as a gift that's been given to you for you to enjoy, rather than as something to be taken or harvested or used.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You know, if you took all of the sharp impliments away from you, you'd still have too much gear. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I felt sorry for the fish too and am glad the eel didn't get shot. Still, I eat fish so I'm a hypocrite to diss you about it I guess.

Your son is the hero of this. What a little champion! I love how he pointed to your pony reg and indicated out of air and you misread him. I imagine his father is his hero :) I wish my dad and I had been able to share experiences like this.

Yeah, I felt sorry for the fish too and am glad the eel didn't get shot. Still, I eat fish so I'm a hypocrite to diss you about it I guess.

Your son is the hero of this. What a little champion! I love how he pointed to your pony reg and indicated out of air and you misread him. I imagine his father is his hero :) I wish my dad and I had been able to share experiences like this.

Thanks...Yeah he did a great job, I came up saying "you saved my life 2 times" (or was it three)... LOL As for the eel, the last thing you would want to do is shoot an eel. It would be a huge problem.

Generally a decent poke is all it takes to get one of those eels to go back into his, hole; it is pretty rare for them to even come all the way out like that really. I would strongly suspect that people have been feeding that eel which endangers the eel (and other divers).

dumpsterDiver,

Regarding the air "incident": Solid performance by your 13-year-old son! Kudos to him (and to whomever is teaching him)! I hope my kids will eventually be able to respond as competently and effortlessly. If I have anything to do with it, they will be.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. Love your Scubapro Balanced Adjustable!

I'm impressed about SO many things! How well you AND your son kept your cool to figure out what was wrong - and you really ARE vocal under water!! That was fun to watch, and I'm so glad you both ended the dive safely and with such good video to share!!

Can someone send me the video link? For some reason I can't see it in the original post or anywhere else on the thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom