Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Any Information About A Discover Scuba Death in Grand Turk?

Divemaster
    Badge

Drying out in the desert...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

Any Information About A Discover Scuba Death in Grand Turk?

The cruisecritic board is discussing the death of a 17-year-old in Grand Turk while on a Carnival ship discover scuba excursion. I haven't seen anything about this here. I'm especially curious because I think it's the same operator that Holland America uses and we had problems with them there last month.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

I got this story confirmed. Oasis Divers has had its contract cancelled by Carnival, and, hopefully, Holland America.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    the link at cruisecritic.com is Grand Turk SCUBA cancelled - Cruise Critic Message Boards

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

Also found this link DIVER RESCUED OFF GRAND TURK, Turks and Caicos Islands

Following is from a pdf of same site (above);

DIVER RESCUED OFF GRAND TURK, Turks and Caicos Islands
    A TEENAGER is fighting for his life following a diving accident in Grand Turk.
    The 17-year-old American tourist got into difficulties while learning to dive under the supervision
    of highly trained and experienced instructors.
    He was one of 16 people on the organised outing. The victim was pulled from the sea and
    received emergency first aid aboard a dive boat before being transported to the Cruise Centre
    where he was met by a medical team from InterHealth Canada.
    He was then rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical Centre before being airlifted to a hospital in
    the USA.
    The incident, which happened just before 3pm on Wednesday, is now being investigated by
    officers from the RTCI Police.
    ENDS

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

There appears to be 2 incidents -

GRAND TURK
    A TEENAGER is recovering in hospital following a diving accident in Grand Turk.
    The 17-year-old American tourist got into difficulties while learning to dive under the supervision
    of highly trained and experienced instructors. He was one of 16 people on the organised outing.
    The victim was pulled from the sea and received emergency first aid aboard a dive boat before
    being transported to the Cruise Centre where he was met by a
    medical team from InterHealth Canada. He was then rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical
    Centre before being airlifted to a hospital in the USA.
    The incident, which happened just before 3pm on Wednesday, is now being investigated by
    officers from the RTCI Police.

AND

POLICE have launched an investigation following the death of a tourist in Grand Turk,
    yesterday (Monday).
    A 62-year-old man got into difficulties while snorkelling off the island and was taken aboard a
    boat where dive instructors administered emergency treatment.
    He was brought back to shore and rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical Centre, where he was
    pronounced dead at 1.10pm.
    The victim is believed to have been a passenger on a visiting cruise ship.

News : Royal Turks & Caicos Police Force

then scroll down to "Easter weekend Crime and Incident report"

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    There is another thread on cruisecritic, which preceded this one. In that thread, it is stated that the 17-year-old passed away. The emergency medical treatment actually was provided by one of the cruiseship passengers who did CPR on him until medical personnel arrived.

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    16 Discover Scuba students?! Wow! My first few dives were Discover dives as a passenger on a small Windjammer, but I had my own DM or Inst as a buddy for each dive, even tho we did break some rules. I wonder how many students per Inst they allow?
    Tricia likes this.
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    16 Discover Scuba students?! Wow! My first few dives were Discover dives as a passenger on a small Windjammer, but I had my own DM or Inst as a buddy for each dive, even tho we did break some rules. I wonder how many students per Inst they allow?
    Yep, methinks that's why the tragedy happened.
    LynnB likes this.

statusless

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    I don't have any details about the incident, but from the information in earlier posts, I don't think it is clear if all 16 were in the water at the same time. Years ago when I did my first discover scuba in Australia, there were probably about 20 or so discover scuba students on the boat, but went in 4 at a time.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    How many are allowed is irrelevant. I can take 4 by standards. But under 18 - two. This stuff of taking a group of cruise people in herds on these things is nothing but greed in action. Cruise lines have recommended vendors for everything in ports. They say is so they can guarantee quality, service, etc. truth is it is how much of a kickback they get. My first cruise land excursion in Cozumel would have cost double if we stayed on the main drag that Carnival suggested. Going off of that by just a couple blocks netted some great deals and very nice people.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Scuba Instructor

Would rather be diving

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie S. View Post
    Yep, methinks that's why the tragedy happened.
    Why? Maybe there were 4 or 5 instructors. Dont think there is enough info to draw any conclusion.

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I highly doubt that there were four or five instructors. I'm betting there weren't more than two. I dove with them in March and saw their operation. You couldn't pay me enough to ever dive with them again.

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie S. View Post
    I highly doubt that there were four or five instructors. I'm betting there weren't more than two. I dove with them in March and saw their operation. You couldn't pay me enough to ever dive with them again.
    Your experiences may well be on track, but we just don't know about this day.

Personally, I don't think having more than 2 DSD students per Inst is wise, altho I guess many agencies thinks so. I am glad I had a private Inst for all of my DSD dives.
    Last edited by DandyDon; April 13th, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
    openmindOW likes this.
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast