Catalina Island Dive Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't heard a thing about it yet so I assume it was on a dive boat based on the mainland or a private vessel? I was at the dive park for a few hours, but not all day.

This was not at the dive park and most rescue personnel had left the parking lot prior to the days dive. From what I observed and over heard was that the victim was brought on board a Baywatch boat at 05:40. During transfer from boat to Sheriff SAR vehicle it appeared that rigamortis had set in (night dive?). Victim was then taken to heliport for transport to the mainland by Sheriff's helo. SAR divers later returned to the scene to retrieve the dive gear.

I heard a couple of variations of what happened when I returned from my day on the King Neptune. My wife reported hearing about it while hanging out on the island during the day. Guess it'll be interesting to hear the official report from the SO.

-AZTinman

Did receive several inputs on this later ion the day, however all of them were from second or third hand sources so I will not repeat them. Suffice it to say that if what I have heard is true, the incident resulted from sheer stupidity.

"Were they in danger?"

"Yes."

"Grave danger?"

"Is there any other kind?"

("A Few Good Men.")

Referring to the last word of the previous post, it is interesting how often that particular word seems to be occur with a qualifier for company. I would think in considering scuba diving, and accidents such as these, that that particular word would always speak for itself without the need of adornment...

I've had it confirmed by a very reputable source so I think I am safe in saying that two components of this incident were alcohol and lobster poaching. Enough said.

was he attacked by a drunk lobster?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom