Dresden fatality in Scapa Flow - Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver, 66, dies while exploring wreck in Scapa Flow off Orkney | Scotland | News | STV
A man has died after whilst diving off the coast of Orkney.
The 66-year-old man, who was believed to have been diving around one of the wrecks in Scapa Flow, died at the scene at around 11.35am on Monday.
It is understood the man had been diving at the wreck of the SMS Dresden.
Northern Constabulary said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
A police spokesman said: “The man is believed to be a foreign national.”
A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

Sad to hear this, too. From what I can find out about the depth, it's in the range of 25m to 38m (82 to 125 ft).

The report is a slightly wrong. I was on the same dive boat with him this past week.

Several members of my dive club were in Stromness for the week diving the German wrecks in the flow. He was not part of our group but was on the same boat with us. He was from South Africa and on vacation.

We were diving the SMS Kron Prinz Wilhelm. Its a 575 ft long battleship from the first world war. Its in 39 metes (128 feet) of water. It was the first dive of the day.

We all talked with him as we geared up and went in on the wreck. He had just finished his dry suit course the day before and was diving with the instructor from his course. Apparently when he reached the ship he signaled her he was having problems and she controled their accent as fast as safely as possible to the surface. He passed out at some point before getting on the boat and the had to pull him on board with a rope. 2 doctors from a near by dive boat got on and worked on him all the way to shore but he never regained conscienceness and was dead.

From the little we heard from the police he did not have any water in his lungs and it looked like a heart attack.

It was an unfortunate incident and It did put a slightly different spin on the rest of the weeks diving.

Russ

Thanks for the clarification Russ. I too was on this boat. It was a very unfortunate incident. One of our club members has been in contact with the family, giving them pictures and explaining the details from what we knew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom