Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Scuba Instructor

Freediver too!

Here's a few more pics from T-Day, note the sand bar in front of the jetty at a pretty high tide, that's very different.
    And south of the inlet the beach is all but gone. Many of the north most homes had water in their yards & pools. The last one had the ocean cut through and blow out his seawall on the inside of Hillsboro Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    openmindOW likes this.
    Capt Chad Carney Please No PMs
    Text my cell 727-423-7775 or e-mail chad.carney@yahoo.com
    www.floridaskindiver.com - 35+ Years Instructing Freediving, Scuba, Tech & Spearfishing
    Located in Pompano Beach, FL
    Dive Trips in SE FL, Keys, Dry Tortugas & FL Middle Grounds

Ana

Becoming harder to kill.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishpie View Post
    I have to agree, freakish.
    Cats are very stable craft...up to the point that they aren't....
    I'd rather be on a cat than some of the other dive boats that use that inlet.
    I was wondering about the shape of the craft. The vessels I've worked off have always been mono-hulls, deep V or just big big. That is the inlet closest to my house so we use it regularly, what I have is a small 23' mono-haul. I've lost count of many times I've gone under the bridge, look out and just turn around because it looked like it wasn't going to be any fun.

But I've also heard cats are very stable, now looking at the vessel upside side down, the twin hulls are flat just a couple of feet bellow the water line. Is this a real Cat? to me it looks more like a modified pontoon vessel, I've seen smaller cats on trailers with hulls shaped like V's, I would say THOSE are very stable.

Blacklight Poster

keep you from getting bent

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499

Boat capsized in pompano beach?

According to the website for Corinthian, their 45' vessel hull draft is just 10" (not including the lower units on the outboards). Combined with the beam, in my experience, these vessels are generally very stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DebbyDiver likes this.
    Brian // E-divers
    50% Off ScubaPro, Apeks, and Aqua Lung Gear, Click here
    MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER!

ScubaBoard Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Off Gassing

Dives
    3,000+
    Photos

What a tragedy.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Ana, they're sorta like giant pontoon boats, with fiberglass pontoons.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 11:43 AM ----------

Last edited by MMM; November 24th, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: references deleted content
    Interested in diving Boynton?
    Find the latest on conditions and critters here.

Underwater Explorers, Inc
    www.DiveBoyntonBeach.com

Jax
    Forgive your enemies . .

. but keep your gun oiled.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Nina Poppelsdorf, 41, died when the 45-foot Coral Princess catamaran dive boat was slammed by a rogue wave, causing the boat to capsize. Poppelsdorf was visiting South Florida from New Mexico with her nephew.
    Woman Dies After Rogue Wave Capsizes Dive Boat « CBS Miami
    "Equality of opportunity or equality of outcome?
    One is consistent with a free people and the other requires a police state. Pick one."
    ~Cool Hardware52
    I, alone, am responsible for my health and safety, my actions and inactions.
    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris
    Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin.

Jax
    Forgive your enemies . .

. but keep your gun oiled.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Authorities identified her as 54-year-old Nina Poppelsdorf. Medics pronounced her dead a short time after she was rushed to the hospital, said Dani Moschella, a Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.
    One dead after dive boat capsizes off Pompano Beach - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    "Equality of opportunity or equality of outcome?
    One is consistent with a free people and the other requires a police state. Pick one."
    ~Cool Hardware52
    I, alone, am responsible for my health and safety, my actions and inactions.
    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris
    Ephesians 4:26 In your anger do not sin.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Nuclear Engineer at Spree

Photos
    This is a copy of a very similar incident that happened in Baltimore in 2004. It completely rewrote the rules for performing stability tests on pontoon boats, and indeed, caused the Coast Guard to reevaluate the weight of Americans, effecting the stability calculations of all inspected vessels. The Lady D was significantly smaller than the vessel in question, but didn't carry the dive gear, either. US rules state that, for every diver you have on board, you must reduce the number of passengers by 1/2, as they assume each diver carries 92.5 lbs of gear.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2006/MAR0601.pdf

One of the things that can happen to pontoon boats that don't happen to true catamarans or monohulls is that if the boat is in a following sea, it lifts the stern and buries the front of ONE pontoon. If both pontoons bury, there is enough reserve buoyancy to bring them both back afloat. In the case of one pontoon pitch poling, though, the pontoon wants to keep heading down. Anyone who has pitch polled a hobie cat can attest. Keep the pontoon on the surface, life is good, but let it go under just a little bit and it's bad. A true catamaran has hull between the hulls, so even if you bury one side, the deeper you go, the more buoyancy is generated. With a pontoon boat, there is a platform between the hulls, and if you get it in the water, it works to drive the pontoon even deeper.

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on specifics, but I'd guess that they took a following wave not exactly on the stern. It raised the stern, but not squarely, pitch poling the boat.
    DebbyDiver, Zieg, Jax and 7 others like this.
    Capt Frank Wasson
    M/V Spree
    www.spreeexpeditions.com

ScubaBoard Sponsor

Off Gassing

Dives
    3,000+
    Photos

I've never driven a Corinthian, never driven a boat of any kind through Hillsboro Inlet, and don't know how big the swell was down there that day. I do know that the coast guard doesn't wrap up investigations with "it was an unavoidable accident" too much, and I'll bet a Klondike bar that the captain will be crucified. I don't know the guy, but I'm sure he's suffering enough all by himself. My heart goes out to him and the victim's family, I'm sure there's a lot of pain on both sides of that fence.
    Last edited by MMM; November 24th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: references deleted content
    DebbyDiver, Jax, RJP and 3 others like this.
    Interested in diving Boynton?
    Find the latest on conditions and critters here.

Underwater Explorers, Inc
    www.DiveBoyntonBeach.com

Registered

BB Support Team intern

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Other than they were released, is there any more word on the other divers initially transported to the hospital?
    Last edited by MMM; November 24th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: references deleted content
    Fighting over the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics.
    Even if you win, you still ride home on the ..................................:shortbus:

PS, I only look like my avatar from the shoulders up!

Registered

Would rather be diving than
    posting.

Dives
    500 - 999

Bill, I was told all have been released but that was from someone who was onboard yesterday who was talking to frank.

Sent from 115 FSW.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast