Japanese diver dies in Antarctica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dondon462

Contributor
Reaction score
Hobart Australia or China or Fiji or on dive Boat
# of dives
Having voyaged to Antarctica nearly every season since 1993 on my own yachts and dive ship, I know of the attraction. For the past 8 years I have been managing a cruise ship to Antarctica and belong to www.IAATo_Org who just released the following message to members. Very sad and condolences to the family.

Statement from Oceanwide Expeditions:

Oceanwide Marine Services and Oceanwide Expeditions were informed on the 12th of March at 1120 (Ushuaia time) that an incident occurred during a dive at Half Moon Island. The divers were passengers aboard the Plancius.

Approximately two hours earlier, a female diver suddenly disappeared from view from the surface. A search began immediately, and the dive master and diving guide found her at 1015, unconscious and at a depth of five meters. Following her recovery from the water and after 85 minutes of CPR and medical attention by the ship's doctor, she was unfortunately pronounced dead at 1142.

The passenger was a Japanese national, born in 1962. She had over 1,500 hours of diving experience including 50 dives in a drysuit.

Oceanwide immediately informed all the authorities; i.e. the ship's flag state, Dutch authorities, Argentine Coast Guard in Ushuaia, the Japanese Embassy in Buenos Aires and IAATO. The staff and crew secured her diving equipment for later inspection, and made full statements. Their reports, along with medical reports and photographs, have been provided to all authorities.

On Sunday, 17th of March, Oceanwide was informed that the Dutch authorities had requested that Argentina conduct a full investigation when the ship returns to Ushuaia the 20th of March, and will include interviews with the captain, dive master and some crew members.

Oceanwide Expeditions and Oceanwide Marine Services, as well as the Plancius' officers, crew and onboard staff paid their respects to the deceased and have asked the Japanese Embassy , who is in contact with the husband of the deceased, to pass along their condolences.
The cause of the fatal accident is unknown at this time, and all involved hope that the investigation by the Argentine authorities will provide some answers. Oceanwide Expeditions and Oceanwide Marine Services, the officers, crew and staff onboard are cooperating fully with the ongoing investigation.

It is always sad to hear of a diver's death...especially since this trip was most likely a lifelong dream of hers. My condolenses to her family.

~Oldbear~

I am surprised that somebody diving in Antarctica had only 50 drysuit dives.

The final investigation report will hopefully identify the cause for this tragedy. Very sad.

I am surprised that somebody diving in Antarctica had only 50 drysuit dives.

I was also asking this. To dive in Antartica, a lot more experience should be required.

Fifty drysuit dives should be more than enough to know how to manage the use of one while diving. The victim was said to have over 1500 hours of diving experience. For most of us, that would equate to at least 1500 dives. Given her level of experience, I would doubt that proficiency as a diver would be the primary triggering event of the accident.
She had over 1,500 hours of diving experience including 50 dives in a drysuit.

50 drysuit dives should indeed be more than plenty to know how to dive a drysuit, especially for a diver with more than 1500 hours of diving and I seriously doubt the drysuit being an issue in this tragedy.
Of course this would be a complete shot in the dark, but based on the year of birth Im thinking medical issues could be likely as its within an elevated risk age group - although more so for men than women..

I seriously doubt the drysuit being an issue in this tragedy.
I'm speculating here, of course, since we don't have this information, but if it was a catastrophic drysuit flood (e.g., if a neck seal failed completely) she may have been in mortal danger of succumbing to hypothermia very quickly in such cold water. Cold water immersion can trigger other physiological responses as well, including loss of breathing control, potential for cardiac arrest, panic. While a catastrophic drysuit failure (as opposed to a slow leak) is rare, it's not unknown.

I'm speculating here, of course, since we don't have this information, but if it was a catastrophic drysuit flood (e.g., if a neck seal failed completely) she may have been in mortal danger of succumbing to hypothermia very quickly in such cold water. Cold water immersion can trigger other physiological responses as well, including loss of breathing control, potential for cardiac arrest, panic. While a catastrophic drysuit failure (as opposed to a slow leak) is rare, it's not unknown.
It is of course possible, but even a catastrophic floood wont soak you quite the way going through the ice would have so youd have a LITTLE time to identify the issue and get out of there and from what I understand she was on the surface and then went under?
In ~0c/32f water you are estimated to have about 15 minutes before you risk unconsciousness, the water in the antarctic might be even a bit cooler as its salt water though, so youre probably down to 5-10 minutes so if a big flood was the issue I think there would need to be panic/shock involved for such an experienced diver not to rectify the situation within that timeframe.
If she was at depth and had a flood like that I can see a wealth of issues with rectifying the issue though..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom