Another Florida Mini-Season Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
19-year-old West Palm Beach man in critical condition after... | www.palmbeachpost.com
A 19-year-old man is listed in critical condition at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center after sustaining a heart attack while lobster diving on Wednesday afternoon.
Michael Sellepeck, of West Palm Beach, was working on a commercial dive boat when he was stricken, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. Sellepeck is believed to be the only person in Palm Beach County requiring medical attention during the two-day mini-lobster season that began on Wednesday and ended on Thursday at midnight.
It’s not known if Sellepeck was lobster hunting or accompanying other divers.
Sellepeck began having trouble breathing shortly after emerging from a dive approximately 1 1/2 miles offshore, said U.S. Coast Guard marine safety detachment supervisor Michael Tappan. Within minutes, Sellepeck stopped breathing and CPR was administered by another diver on board who happened to be a paramedic.
“He had hundreds of dives under his belt, including three that day, and never had a problem,” Tappan said.
Sellepeck was transported on-shore by the Coast Guard and treated first at St. Mary’s Medical Center before being taken to Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center. Tappan said it was initially believed Sellepeck had suffered decompression syndrome.
A website belonging to Ocean Quest Scuba lists Sellepeck as a Padi Dive Master.
“Not only is Mike professional, friendly and helpful, but he is the definition of reliable,” according to the website.
While no other injuries were reported in Palm Beach or Broward counties, a 52-year-old man visiting the Florida Keys from Pennsylvania died Thursday afternoon while diving a local reef.

A 19 year old with a heart attack????

That's what I said! That is so sad so young.

I am a little confused about this accident and if it is the same one that I heard about in pompano. There was a diver that they believe surfaced too fast. Heard about it while in a shop getting fills and fwc confired it while talking to them at dania being checked. So this one is thesame posted or another accident. While at the shop the call came in about 11pm wed. BNight. But it did not sound serious saying the person was going to be fine. Plus I think the shop uses another boat.

The news article is accurate.
My son and I dove with Mike on Friday before mini season.
He's a great dive master and the operator is top notch.
Godspeed with his recovery.
​

I wonder then what brought on the heart attack! I doubt is was from clogged arteries or plaque.
Best wishes in his recovery!

Mike is a good guy, he goes around the boat and gives everyone a personal boat briefing to make sure everyone knows where the safety equipment is.

Hello everyone. This is Sandy of Ocean Quest Scuba and I greatly appreciate the kind words posted for Mike. He is a fine young man of rare caliber, character and is kind and the hardest working kid I have ever known. He has been with us for 4 years, he was certified by me an made such a impression on us that we gave him a job. Mike was the top of his class in high school and sailer of the quarter at the Maritime Academy in Mass. Where he will be a sophomore this next year. I know all of you are curious as to what happened but Mike didn't have a dive accident. He didn't violate his computer or our protocols, he had air in his tank, he was back onboard visiting with customers, had changed his shirt and there were never any signs from him that he didn't feel well. He just collapsed, we started EMS protocol immediately and we were just minutes from our dock and the rescue ran smoothly with the assistance from the Coast Guard, Marine Patrol, and our marina staff. He was taken by ambulance to St Mary's and then transferred to Palm Beach Gardens. We were told that evening that they believed it to be a heart failure, with that being said though there are still no definite answers. And yes, although rare young people can have heart trouble. It's possible he had a blood clot some where, regardless now is the time for prayers, well wishes and positive energy for Mike and his family. This is a very stressful and painful time all of us involved and we really could use the support of our fellow divers. Thank you for your time and I appreciate the Pm to let me know about this thread. Stay safe. Captain Sandra.

Thank you Sandy for the update.
Scubaboard prayers to Mike for a speedy recovery and we hope he is back in the water with your crew soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom