Nanaimo Snake Island fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The incident happened on the wall, and not on the wrecks.

The incident happened on the wall, and not on the wrecks.

And the significance of this is?

Seems like a pretty deep profile, regardless of the location.

The question is whether they were prepared to make this dive, and what went wrong.

And the significance of this is?

Seems like a pretty deep profile, regardless of the location.

The question is whether they were prepared to make this dive, and what went wrong.

There are a number of re breather people that go that deep on a regular basis here on the island. By the sounds of it these guys weren't using re breathers though. This is well beyond the range of normal air and would require trimix to accomplish safely.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2013 at 02:20 AM ----------

Personally to do this dive I would say back gas of Trimix, Travel gas of air, and finally at least 1 bottle of 50% for deco purposes. Not a trivial dive to say the least.

Snake Island wall is commonly used as a training area for tech diving due to the fast drop off and easy navigation (all upward slopes lead to the Island).
I don't know anything about the divers involved but I do know enough about the dive charter operator to know they would be very unlikely to knowingly let someone do that type of dive off their boat without proper training and equipment.

Said the charter had divers from Washington state and that they were there to do extremely deep dives.

Back
Top Bottom