Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Since the original thread about the Plura fatalities is still closed for moderation and there's no indication as to when it will be reopened, I'm taking the liberty to open a new thread for fresh news about the recovery operation. I assume a moderator will merge the threads when the first is reopened.

Anyway, three British divers arrived in Norway today for the recovery of the bodies of the two Finnish divers who died in the Plura cave two weeks ago. Two of the British team are the same persons who recovered Ståle Tveitane's body in 2006, and the team is lead by Mark Dougherty. Oslo fire and rescue brigade is responsible for this operation and provide support divers, another similarity with the operation in 2006.

Google translated article with video interview with Mark Dougherty

And please, let's leave the RB issue out of this thread...

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 05:16 PM ----------

The recovery operation will apparently start at Steinugleflåget. That means that the recovery team avoids the deepest part of the sump at 130m and the air chamber on the Plura side. On the other hand, Diver 4 is located on the Plura side of the restriction where Diver 2 got stuck.

Google Translate

And they're planning to start the diving this weekend. The diving part of the operation is scheduled to take eight days:

Google Translate

Last edited:
It says in the posted link that the water temperature in Plura is 2C and not 4C as the original dive was reported to have been planned for (normally CO2 absorbents are tested/rated to 4C minimum Operating Temperature).

*ahem*

please, let's leave the RB issue out of this thread...

Oh, well...

For the 2006 Plura body recovery the divers were Rick Stanton and Jason Mallinson with Mark Dougherty as Deep Diving Controller.

From the link posted earlier, it appears that at least two of the three exceptional individuals above will also be involved in this recovery.

Others who were involved in the 2006 recovery were
John Cordingley, Mike Jeanmaire, Dave Gallivan, Dave Gibson, Dave Brock, Pete Allwright, John Volanthen, and Rupert Skorupka (maybe these are also involved again?).

I'd like to know more about what equipment and techniques they will be using in 2C water for the planned 4 or so hours of the dive.

According to a Finnish newspaper, the recovery operation has been seized. The passages are deemed too narrow for two divers to dive side by side.

I'll add a google translated link soon, don't know how well google does Finnish, though...

Edit: Having trouble with the translator on mobile platform, so here's the original link: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/ulkomaat/art-1288658452180.html

Mark Dougherty says, that due to the restrictions, the only possible means of recovery is that a rescue diver enters the cave diving solo. That is obviously unrecommended, and could lead to another accident.

Last edited:
According to a Finnish newspaper, the recovery operation has been seized. The passages are deemed too narrow for two divers to dive side by side.

I'll add a google translated link soon, don't know how well google does Finnish, though...

I wonder if they changed now (2014) the protocol used before for the prior 2006 body recovery, or in 2006 the deceased was not past any restriction requiring diver separation.

I suspect (hypothesis, not fact), the latter, and not the former.

Operation too dangerous. Salvage diver would have to go in solo. I hope they find a way to get the bodies out, for the families sakes. But I wouldn't wish anyone to lose their life over it. Wonder if they will close Plura as a grave site now?

I wonder if they changed now (2014) the protocol used before for the prior 2006 body recovery, or in 2006 the deceased was not past any restriction requiring diver separation.

I suspect (hypothesis, not fact), the latter, and not the former.

Mark Dougherty's comments on the article support your hypothesis, that's the way I understand the situation also.

There is another article on the same paper, speculating that there is a possibility that the Plurdalen cave will be sealed as a tomb for the deceased. The local authorities haven't any decisions on the matter. Not sure if there is any foundation to that speculation, or if it's just coming from the reporter.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/ulkomaat/art-1288658462599.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom