Diver Fatality in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I read this right, she was 75 years old. Sad indeed. No doubt more information will come out.

Google translate:

Died a foreign tourist before reaching a hospital where she was taken to try to save his life, since being diving felt bad and left the water but fainted aboard the boat he was traveling , he presumed that probably died by aspiration , although it would perform the autopsy to determine the real cause of his death.
According to unofficial information poured from the Judicial Police, around 10:56 hours on Thursday , had knowledge that a tourist who was allegedly staying at the hotel Scuba Club died before reaching the clinic hyperbaric chamber .
At approximately 11:15 am , staff from the Medical Examiner ( Semefo ) , together with members of the Judicial Police rushed to the hospital to verify the report received from the 066 emergency service .
It was learned that the authorities were interviewed Dr. Eduardo Garcia, who informed them that minutes before a person of foreign origin had arrived without vital signs and by the name of Elizabeth Holland 75, originally from Missouri.
It was reported that the body not visible injuries and that according to the data collected, the now deceased was diving without specifying the exact point when suddenly felt bad , so I motioned to guide to surface , and climb into the boat , lost consciousness fainting , so she was taken to a nearby dock where an ambulance was waiting to moved to the hyperbaric chamber , but died before arriving.
Semefo staff made ​​the cadaver to move their facilities to undergo both the autopsy law and determine the real cause of his death. Personal clinic doctor thinks that foreign likely died by aspiration.

Yes it looks like she was 75 years old and wasn't feeling well so went back to the boat. At least she made it back on the boat but died on the way from the ambulance to the hospital. At least she made it back up.

A shame for sure but this is how want to go when it is my time.

Betty

So this is not a diving accident then.

So this is not a diving accident then.
She was diving at the time she became ill. We don't know why, if a medical problem was in play or not, but yeah - diving at the time.

We may later learn that she would have died if not diving, who knows? Could diving have exaggerated a medical problem? Much too early to make any claims either way.

Rough for SCC, having a recent snorkeler die and recovered on their property, then this so soon after. No obvious connection, but challenging on the staff.

I hope I'm still diving when I'm 75 (how rad was she?!), and that this incident turns out to be unrelated to diving itself or any mistakes made. My dad's 75 and runs marathons, mom's not far behind him. I want to be like that.

Sorry for the family and the responders, too. Rest in Peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom