Farnsworth Banks accident last weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I heard that there was a fatal diving accident last weekend (March 22, 2014) at Farnsworth Banks but see no mention here... Has anybody else heard anything about it?

Apparently it was an OOA situation...

Haven't heard anything about it out here

Hmm...if the King of Avalon has not heard it then it must be an Internet myth? Or have you been too busy editing your video Dr. Bill ;-)

Apparently there were four incidents last weekend, one of which (on the Horizon) has been thoroughly discussed on another thread. I am not sure if the others involved Catalina, but one for sure clearly mentioned Farnsworth...

Last edited:
Farnsworth banks make for great dives there are some currents sometimes.

I can confirm there was a fatality at Farnsworth on Monday morning. Trip just returned yesterday so more details should be available soon.

Farnsworth is an MPA and lobster season was over before last weekend (March 19)...so I am sure it was not a lobster diving trip. If it was a hunting trip then it must have been due to bad karma ;-)

Farnsworth is an MPA and lobster season was over before last weekend (March 19)...so I am sure it was not a lobster diving trip.
My bad. Not a good idea to try and check their calendar on a tablet (and in the back of my mind, I was wondering if I had missed something about hunting at Farnsworth banks being permitted). It says Forster, not lobster...
Anyhow, if confirmed, this is tragic news.

Sad to hear that. Farnsworth can be a difficult dive if current is present or vis is poor. Hope we will get at least enough info on this incident so we have a basic understanding of what happened.

Sad to hear that. Farnsworth can be a difficult dive if current is present or vis is poor. Hope we will get at least enough info on this incident so we have a basic understanding of what happened.

I was on Pacific Star on the 22nd and yes, we made it to Farnsword for one dive and no, there was no lobster hunting. And yes, we all came back. The visibility must have been close to 100 Ft, mild current and little surge down at the bottom. Over all very nice conditions, I can see how somebody may have forgotten to watch the pressure gauge while looking at the beautiful purple hydro coral.
Sorry to hear that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom