Diver dead in Kaatiala quarry in Finland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pekka L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A middleaged man died after midday local time today in Kaatiala quarry in Finland. According to news the diver died at the depth of 30 meters while taking part in a diving course. Other divers managed to bring him to the surface.

Police is investigating the cause of death. Sadly results of such investigations are rarely published, as cause of persons death falls under protected personal information.

Link to news report, in Finnish: http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/Mies+kuoli+sukellusturmassa+louhoksella+Kuortaneella

Kaatiala quarry is well used diving spot in finland, and is used for courses.

supposedly better info from Finnish broadcasting company, links in Finnish: http://yle.fi/uutiset/kuortaneella_vakavasti_loukkaantunut_sukeltaja_kuoli/7163212 , http://yle.fi/uutiset/kaksi_sukeltajaa_loukkaantui_harjoituksissa_kuortaneella/7163099

Two divers got in problems in the depth of 30 meters, and made a quick ascend. Both got injured, one severely. The severely injured later died.

Last edited:
Sad news.
Would be interesting to know which course it was.
In general I've always had the idea that course dives were quite safe. Although, thinking about it, it's the first time divers are in those situations, which increases the risk even with an instructor present.

Four finnish divers this year. So sad... What happend?

In general I've always had the idea that course dives were quite safe.

It was a middle aged man. And according to BSAC, one of the most common causes for death during SCUBA diving is medical issues (e.g. a heart attack).

I don't know anything about the fatality, but until facts indicating another cause of death are published, I know what I'd bet on

Four finnish divers this year. So sad... What happend?

Yeah, unfortunately quite a few accidents lately... Was the other diver of the four you mentioned that one that got trapped under ice on a river dive? I tried to find a report on that to post it here with some proper info, but couldn't. Maybe someone can? I think there's value in showing what happened in that accident.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This is quite confusing, but because there appear to have been two incidents in Finland, there has been some mixing of reports. I THINK I have straightened things out. Please be sure you are posting in the correct thread.

A report came out. Original in Finnish Sukeltajaliitto ry - Näytä uutinen

Bad translation into English from Google Translate (I may edit some things):

Diving Accident Kaatiala
31/03/2014 15:28

Newsletter: Scuba Diving and Safety Committee, the accident investigation task force

Diver killed in Kaatiala

Kuortane , Kaatiala the quarry occurred on Saturday, 29.03.2014 fatal diving accident. Diving student was carrying out kaivossukeltamisen course (I think it's limited mine diver course), and it was the 4th dive. Inside the tunnel, very close to the open water of the border and about 30 meters deep, the student went unanswered due to panic attack. The second course was followed by the student next to the trainer tried to get contact with the student. Eventually the student dropped the OCTOPUS mouth (I think they were doing an air sharing exit), and even though the trainer was back to the student, as well as the OCTOPUS imported him to the so-called . nousuproseduurilla an unconscious victim to the surface, no longer in contact with the student replied. On the surface of the student attempted to revive all the time before the ambulance arrived. The police have been in the online opinions on what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom